Route from Ascot to Hyde Park Corner

grobertson
grobertson Posts: 2
edited August 2011 in Commuting general
Dear All,

Having volunteered for a London/Paris charity bike ride, I have visited Evans and now own a shiny bike and bits.

Having equipped myself, I need to get some miles done which I have started, but commuting from home in Ascot to my office near at Hyde Park Corner would seems to be an effective way of getting some of those miles done.

The problem I have is finding a route that is reasonably direct.

I have recc’ed the A30/A4 option but that seems to be the quickest way to get crushed by a truck. I have also tried national cycle route 4 as it seems to go in the right direction, but signage beyond Staines is vague and confusing.

Can anyone suggest a route that would be suitable?

Many Thanks

Comments

• Mark Bom
    Mark Bom Posts: 184
    Not easy to suggest a traffic free route, I know some routes that would take you through Windsor Great Park and up towards Heathrow, but after that you'd have to deal with busier roads.

Try one of the mapping sites like Bikehike or Bikeroutetoaster which might help you plan the best routes.

Otherwise, try and get some miles in before and/or after work and at weekends.

Good luck.
  • WisePranker
    WisePranker Posts: 823
    How about the A30 from Ascot through to Bedfont then the A315 along through Hounslow and Brentford then Chiswick High Road, King Street, Hammersmith Road, Kensington High Street then cut through Hyde Park up to Hyde park Corner.

Still busy roads but not as bad as the A30/A4!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    How about the A30 from Ascot through to Bedfont then the A315 along through Hounslow and Brentford then Chiswick High Road, King Street, Hammersmith Road, Kensington High Street then cut through Hyde Park up to Hyde park Corner.

This!

I use the A315 from Ashford nearly every day over the A40 on my route to Farringdon.

Drew you a route I'd be happy doing. I prefer to ride around Embankment vs dealing with the traffic towards Hyde Park.

http://tinyurl.com/3hcez7a

Another option would be to get a train from Ascot to Staines/Ashford and ride from there. The trains aren't too full at this point.
  • WisePranker
    WisePranker Posts: 823
    iPete wrote:

This!

I use the A315 from Ashford nearly every day over the A40 on my route to Farringdon.

Drew you a route I'd be happy doing. I prefer to ride around Embankment vs dealing with the traffic towards Hyde Park.

http://tinyurl.com/3hcez7a

Another option would be to get a train from Ascot to Staines/Ashford and ride from there. The trains aren't too full at this point.

How long does your commute take you?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    1 hour 20 average with the all the stop starting, traffic etc.
  • evade
    evade Posts: 115
    I live in ascot, work in brentford. I used to do the A30 A4 and it's hellish. Just too crazy and the cycle lane is too broken up, too many lights and junctions. I now use a hardtail mountain bike with slim tyres, and ride to Virginia Water, Chertsey, Walton on Thames, pick up the Thames towpath to Kingston, up through Richmond Park, down to Richmond, Kew. Longer, but lovely route, safe and you can ride really long distances without stopping.

Evade
    Evade
    Scott Spark 35