Hardrock fork length issue

nickel
nickel Posts: 476
edited July 2011 in MTB general
Last october I upgraded the suntour 80mm forks on my hardrock to some OE tora 302 coil 100mm forks from wiggle. Now these are the first set of proper forks I've bought since starting moutain biking and I've always thought for 100mm forks they look quite long compared to other 100mm travel bikes I see online and in in magazines, but I simply but it down to some kind of optical illusion. However today I actually measured them and they are in fact 125mm from the lower to the where the stanchion meets the crown. Are they 100mm forks and I've just measured them wrong or are they actually 120mm? Im pretty sure the hardrock warranty only covers up to 100mm forks. The trouble Is I like the fact I have more travel and a slacker head angle and so far they've caused no problems to the bike. So should I change the forks to some 100mm ones or just keep with the forks I have?

Advice please!

Thanks!

Comments

• waughie
    waughie Posts: 180
    Keep them, i used to run 140mm Fox forks on my '04. didn't do it anyharm over 4 years.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Stanchion length does not equal travel. Put a cable tie on one stanchion, compress fully and measure travel.
    Possibly you already have one or how are you measuring sag?
    Of more importance is the actual length (dropout to crown) of the fork.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They could be 120mm versions. Open them up and see if there is a spacer in there.
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    Stanchion length does not automatically equal travel.

FTFY

On all the Marzocchi MXs I've played with, what you see is what you get: seals/wipers touch crown at full compression.
    "Coming through..."
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Cheers guys, I'll have a go at opening them up later on. If Its any help I've never managed to coax full travel out of the fork, only ever managed maybe 3/4 of the stanchion length but I'm not sure if this is just cause they're coil forks and I barely tip the scales at 10 stone so probably need a softer spring.