Thule Outride 561.

wilkij1975
wilkij1975 Posts: 532
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
Does anyone use a Thule Outride 561 bike carrier? I was just wondering if they were any good and how secure they were and if they are good to use with suspension forks. I have a Proride 591 but i'm not sure it'll clamp the down tube on the 456 carbon too well.

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Never tried the Thule, but pendle do excellent fork mount roof racks around the same price.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • wilkij1975
    wilkij1975 Posts: 532
    Just looked at some BR reviews of them and they look OK. Someone commented, though, that fork manufacturers don't recomend this type of fixing. Is that the case?
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Most fork manufacturers also don't like you riding their products. I would not worry about it, but thats just my opinion.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • I've got two Thule 561's which I use on a Ford Kuga bolted to Thule Aerobars.
    They are solid as a rock and so easy to get your bike on and off.

I usually use mine with my Rockhopper or Camber and have also used the bolt-thru adapter to transport a Marin Quake.

The Thule one-key system is also handy if you have a Thule footpack. I have seen people comment that the locking mechanisms are a bit weak looking and could potentially be eased apart using a screwdriver. But at the end of the end of the day if some thieving git really wants your bike, they'll get through pretty much anything.

In summary, I think they're a good product and I'd recommend buying one.
    Ninja
  • mikel70
    mikel70 Posts: 2
    I have a problem with my Outride 561 from Thule: the AT's are to big. They give you 20mm AT's, but don't supply smaller ones. Is there some kind of replacement?