Novice Sportive Riders and uptake in Cycling Clubs

Many more cyclists are now participating in group riding activities directly as a result of more audaxes, sportives and charity rides. Previously, group riding was often the preserve of cycling clubs alone.

My own cycling club has noted an increase in its membership and in particular, on our club runs. This is in part due to the increasing popularity of cycling generally but also as a result of more riders encouraged by group riding.

Here is a question, would have you never considered joining a club until your interest in sportives/audaxes/charity rides?

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Hello Philip,

I am guessing that my evolution through the world of cycling might be fairly common in that I started cycling a couple of years ago, did some charity events and found that I liked group riding...ended up doing a few sportives/audaxes and then joined a club. Now do a wide variety of cycling including Johnnynomates training.

I am not surprised your club is growing as it is very welcoming/inclusive whilst still being true to its roots which, according to many articles I read, are key factors that many other clubs overlooked previously.
  • Your club sounds like the kind that I would want to be a member of

My local clubs are a lot less inclusive which is why I ride alone most of the time, or with small groups of mates

I have 2-3 biggish clubs near to be

In the last few weeks I have experienced the following:

Descending alone down a quiet lane
    Club run are climbing in 3 bunches of 6-8 spread across the whole road
    None of the 3 bothered to give me any room making me squeeze by the kerb/brambles/gutter
    Of almost 30 riders only 1 said hello despite me acknowledging them

In the car driving on fast A road in the country
    Huge club run again of about 30 riders in a bunch on a national speed limit section with a mobile traffic jam behind them of frustrated cars unable to overtake

Riding alone on minor road
    From a side lane 10ish men and women in full club kit just ride out in front of me making me stop despite me having priority

Numerous instances of being matey at cake stops and being blanked

Numerous instances of waving or nodding my head or even speaking LOL to acknowledge other riders and again being blanked

I could go on

The local tri club on the other hand are very matey

Cheers

• In the car driving on fast A road in the country
    Huge club run again of about 30 riders in a bunch on a national speed limit section with a mobile traffic jam behind them of frustrated cars unable to overtake

They would be even more frustrated if the group singled out. Much harder to overtake a single line of 30 riders than a bunch, contrary to what most motorists might instinctively think.

Hopefully the riders were not on there for long. Not a very well thought out route if they were.

There are good clubs and bad. Mine is fine, but there are a few club run riders who are hopeless in a bunch and just won't be told, and unfortunately that reflects on everyone.
  • Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    I came from mountain biking so I'm a bit special ;) I bought a 2nd hand roadbike when I went to pick up some innertubes from my lbs. Road on my own for ages, just exploring the local area. Moved to the other end of the country and joined both a road and mtb club to meet people. Quite liked group riding so got into racing and club runs with the odd sportive ( I wish they did tough long road races like sportives but proper races for lower cat riders).