Anyone Tried the Dunwich Train

WesternWay
WesternWay Posts: 564
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
OK, so like an idiot I (and a pal or two) have failed to book a place on the coach back from Dunwich before they have all filled up.

Has anyone here TRIED/SUCCEEDED/FAILED getting the train back to London?

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    WesternWay, me old mucker!
    I didn't book a place on the coach last year and the van and coach drivers didn't seem too bothered. Not right, I know, but its what I did.

Why not MTFU and ride back?!

I won't be doing it this year. I'm not fit (or mad) enough and doing it on a fixie is for the fit or mad.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Chill out for a few hours then ride to Ipswich to get the train. Best alternative. 30 miles, apparently.

Alternative 2: Sign up to LFGSS sharpish. They may be getting a second coach.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Cafewanda wrote:

You on the first one? See you there. Hatbeard too I think.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    looks like I might be doing the 30 mile return to Ipswich. That or talking very, very nicely to the better half
  • Cycle100
    Cycle100 Posts: 16
    Likewise, I just piled on to the coach and the driver didn't seem to care or indeed check to see if I was on the list. I'm sure they cater for people like us forgetful ones.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    dhope wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

You on the first one? See you there. Hatbeard too I think.

Not any more. Bruv number 2 is now doing the ride so we will be asleep on the SC coach on the way back.

If I see you I'll wave (and grimace with pain).
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    I really do have a spare bus ticket. email me on wyadvd at googlemail dot com if interested , but i THINK WE MIGHT HAVE TO MEET on the green somewhere.
  • CasperCCC
    CasperCCC Posts: 14
    I didn't get round to booking a coach ticket either.

30 miles to Ipswich. Easy to say it. Have no idea if I'll make it... If my legs stop working, how much will a cab from the middle of nowhere to Cambridge be...? :-o
  • You could cycle to Darsham station (about 4/5 miles) and catch a train from there to Ipswich. I know for sure that you don't have to reserve a cycle space on the Darsham to Ipswich stretch - not sure about Ipswich to Liverpool Street.

I'd check train times though - they're not exactly frequent.... :)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I'm a bit stumped on this. I can get into town no bother on Saturday for the start and be on the beach by 6:30 if last year is any guide, but being collected from Dunwich this year is a no-no due to prior commitments, something about monitoring lawn growth and some paint drying IIRC. Whatever.

If I can get back to somewhere around Bedford or even Cambridge there's a chance I can be collected. I'd ride it but it's about 110 to Bedford from Dunwich and 230 miles in 20 hour period might kill me; it would involve the A14 and even I don't fancy that Sunday or not.

Don't know what I'm asking really. Has anyone got a helicopter that they could collect me in and drop me off near to Bedford? Anyone going that way in a van with a spare space?

Cheapskate that I am I don't fancy catching the train from Stowmarket to Bedford at £53 altho that might be the final option. Come on - who's got a spare helicopter? Or a good idea?
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Just seen the weather forecast for the Dynamo.

You're gonna get wet!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Just seen the weather forecast for the Dynamo.

You're gonna get wet!

Forecasts vary. In any case I'll be wearing my Shimano MW80s....
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Was going to do it - but if its going to chuck it down I'll give it a miss.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Hm, I'm a fair weather cyclist when I'm not commuting...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo