Quick Qn re panniers

KnightOfTheLongTights
KnightOfTheLongTights Posts: 1,415
edited July 2011 in Commuting general
If you’re going to have one set, do you get front or back?

I see back ones all the time, but it would seem to me that front are preferable as it would distribute weight more evenly and keep the front wheel down?

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I've never used panniers, so any advice I give is probably as useful as a chocolate fireguard, but with so much weight in the front wheel, steering would probably be REALLY heavy.
    Put it on the back wheel and the whole bike is heavier, but the steering would feel roughly the same.

What I just wrote may be total rubbish. Feel free to correct me.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • mossychops
    mossychops Posts: 262
    I would be a little worried about lifting the front wheel up kerbs or the extra weight afftecting balance in potholes too.

Is it my imagination or are rear panniers deeper too? I have Topeak MTX EXB panniers and they go from a small saddle bag to folding out the panniers to huge. You could get 3 or 4 bath towels in each side easily. There is a waterproof cover which is excellent and if you have the QR beam rack it attached to the seat post so will fit road bikes with no mounts and full suss mountain bikes. They are expensive though if you dont need quick release you could get the same pretty cheap that bolt on.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    You can put front ones on a rear rack.
    Front panniers are usually fitted to balance a heavy (touring) load; if all your load goes to the rear, the front becomes too light and the bikes becomes "tippy". In my experience, most normal bikes can cope with a full shopping load in the rear without problems.
    Some people use front-only panniers. It does slow your steering down a bit and reduces the hop-ability of the bike.
    I use std size rear panniers, mostly one only, empty with spare clothes/too kit but if I need to do an emergency shop I have the room.
    Single rear panniers can be loaded up without causing any problems.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187

I see back ones all the time, but it would seem to me that front are preferable as it would distribute weight more evenly and keep the front wheel down?

You must have some engine on your bike :wink: !
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • dilemna wrote:

You must have some engine on your bike :wink: !

well funnily that is where I have my experience of luggage on two wheels: I rode an old Royal Enfield Bullet when I was travelling once, and having all my stuff plus petrol cans on the back racks made the front wheel very light on the ground, no traction.

So I bungee-corded a case to the petrol tank in front of me to put some weight back towards the front - worked a treat.

So was thinking the same principle might apply.