Phone Hacking Journalists

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I can guarantee the News Corp will launch a new Sunday paper once the dust settles. They got the office, staff, distribution all waiting to go. Just need to leave it long enough so that people don't think it's the NOTW in disguise.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    The Sun was already slated to go 7 days I think
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Asprilla wrote:
    I give it six months before the launch for your seven day a week super soaraway Sun....

6 Months? End of next week more like!
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    SecretSam wrote:
    W1: you're wrong. End of. "Investigative journalism" has its place - absolutely- but the public interest must be greater than the damage done. What they are accused of doing is foul. Defending the indefensible? I admire your stance but I think you'll find you are very much in a minority. "Responsible journalism".

Erm, I agree with you. I'm not defending the NOTW. In my view there are times and places where it is acceptable to break the law for the greater good. This is not one of them though.

The outcome of all of this will be greater restrictions on journalists. Directly or indirectly that will lead to less information being published (or being allowed to be published). That is a form of censorship and a limitation on freedom of expression. Given what some journalists have previously done, my view is that such a restriction is worthwhile (on balance) - and to go full circle, as are many injunctions. As I have said before, the "right" to freedom of expression comes with many responsibilities. Journalists have proven that they cannot be responsible, and therefore their "rights" will have to be restricted. Of course that will impact on what becomes public, for better or worse. I would much prefer that not to be the case. The question is - will we support restrictions on the press which come about as a result of this? Or will we consider it a step too far once this scandal is long forgotten?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    The sunonsunday.co.uk domain was registered on Tuesday....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Is it just me that's beginning to feel left out at not having my phone hacked by the notw :roll:
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    W1 wrote:
    In my view there are times and places where it is acceptable to break the law for the greater good.

Glad I'm not living in your kingdom.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Clank
    bails87 wrote:
    The sunonsunday.co.uk domain was registered on Tuesday....

ahh, but by whom?

I don't think it was Newsweek (the owners of 'thesun.co.uk').

'thesundaysun.co.uk' has also been registered, but again, not to newsweek (some dudes in the Bahamas or some s**t). And not recently, either.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    So they're closing down NOTW - this has been on the cards for months anyway so no loss to News International - just a distraction. The journos who currently work on NOTW have not been shown to be involved with hacking anyway so in effect its given Murdoch an excuse for something he was going to to anyway - and Rebekah Brooks who was there at the time walks away to manage BSKy :evil:
  • W1
    Clank wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    In my view there are times and places where it is acceptable to break the law for the greater good.

Can you really not think of a single example where breaking the law would be acceptable? Ever heard of duress?
  • I hope this doesn't indicate that the safest way to run a newspaper is to show no interest at all in the facts - whether obtained by fair means or foul. I'd hate to think that the Daily Mail had a more robust business strategy than the NotW.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Chap from the Guardian spoke some sense this morning on the BBC by saying, in essence, that it's more to do with the subject being investigated than the method.

If it is 'in the public interest' then the law is likely to be far more lenient at corners being cut than some grubby little sex expose involving a footballer and a soap actress.

As long as we continue to have a massive market for prurient 'Sleb based gossip (and don't kid yourselves, it is just gossip and often malicious) then we will always have a drive from the press to pry into private lives by fair means or foul. Just that they got caught this time.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    SimonAH wrote:
    Chap from the Guardian spoke some sense this morning on the BBC by saying, in essence, that it's more to do with the subject being investigated than the method.

If it is 'in the public interest' then the law is likely to be far more lenient at corners being cut than some grubby little sex expose involving a footballer and a soap actress.

As long as we continue to have a massive market for prurient 'Sleb based gossip (and don't kid yourselves, it is just gossip and often malicious) then we will always have a drive from the press to pry into private lives by fair means or foul. Just that they got caught this time.

Micheal White? Often does speak sense.

Not on homosexuals though, but an excellent political journalist.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    So they're closing down NOTW - this has been on the cards for months anyway so no loss to News International - just a distraction. The journos who currently work on NOTW have not been shown to be involved with hacking anyway so in effect its given Murdoch an excuse for something he was going to to anyway - and Rebekah Brooks who was there at the time walks away to manage BSKy :evil:

Really?

NotW and The Sun both contribute to making NGN the profitable part of NI. Everyone knows that they only reason The Sun and NotW exist is to fund the continuing losses made by TGN on both The Times and Sunday Times. Dumping the NotW is not only costly but also loses revenue (even in the short term). Besides, the Murdochs like internal competition; they see the constant battle between The Sun and NotW (they hate each other) as being key to the success of both titles.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Also has to be said though that the public decamping of advertisers as everyone panics to dissociate themselves from the scandal has killed the title in it's tracks as a revenue generator - ergo a rebranding is the only way.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • asprilla
    Rebranding carries the same risks (possibly greater) than protecting the NotW. It's the not the paper as such, that's toxic, but the executives who are and were in charge. If those people were to be exposed and investigated / charged then the paper could continue as normal.

With the pulic enquiry and other papers now asking direct questions, the issue of who was responsible isn't going to go away with the closing of the paper
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    From the 28th June News International has created what it calls a "managing editor structure" at its four newspapers in what appears to be a move towards a form of integration of daily and Sunday titles

NOTW is only on Sundays, so they've got 7 days to use MS Paint to add "On Sunday" to the heading of The Sun.

As has been said elsewhere, NOTW is gone, Brooks isn't. They've got rid of the wrong red top.

I'm here all week.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • asprilla
    That's just part of the ongoing drive at cost reduction that started when they had BCG in three years ago and resulted in the removal of loads of sub and image roles.the sharing of those production resources has been on the cards for years (I implemented the initial production process integration at The Times and Sunday Times and the reintegration of the two paper's websites including all their back end shared services).

The integration at a journalistic / editorial level is completely different.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    W1 wrote:
    Clank wrote:
    W1 wrote:

Can you really not think of a single example where breaking the law would be acceptable? Ever heard of duress?
    Mute point, but if duress is an applicable defence then it means you did not break the law, even if at the time to all intents and purposes you appeared to......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    bails87 wrote:
    From the 28th June News International has created what it calls a "managing editor structure" at its four newspapers in what appears to be a move towards a form of integration of daily and Sunday titles

NOTW is only on Sundays, so they've got 7 days to use MS Paint to add "On Sunday" to the heading of The Sun.

As has been said elsewhere, NOTW is gone, Brooks isn't. They've got rid of the wrong red top.
    I'm here all week.

Top line
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • asprilla
    spen666 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

I'm here all week.

Top line

Jon Gaunt said it on last night's Newsnight.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    edited July 2011
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Clank
    W1 wrote:

Yup. Thanks.

Not getting into a debate on the subject.

• W1
    Clank wrote:
    W1 wrote:

Yup. Thanks.

Not getting into a debate on the subject.

Then why bother commenting at all?

What a bizarre couple of posts.
  • W1
    W1 wrote:
    Clank wrote:
    W1 wrote:

Mute point, but if duress is an applicable defence then it means you did not break the law, even if at the time to all intents and purposes you appeared to......

Simon

Indeed - but at the time you acted, you (a) knew you were most likely to be in breach of the law, (b) intended to do so and (c) couldn't be sure of a successful defence i.e. actus and mens rea met, but full defence available.

But I take your point.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Yikes, now an NI executive caught in the deleting email cookie jar...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757

link?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rick_chasey
    Daily star's being raided by the po-lice.
  • rick_chasey

link?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/ju ... ernational