Jumping and fork setup

slimboyjim
slimboyjim Posts: 367
edited July 2011 in MTB general
Hi,

I'm struggling to get much height jumping at the moment - I'm fine on gradual take-offs but there's a couple of short steep tables/doubles I just can't get right at Ribbesford and Cannock. They are around a meter high and within a metre (horizontally) go from horizontal to a 45 degree take off. I cannot clear them despite approaching it at a similar speed to my friend and I'm not sure if I am squashing it a bit or, perhaps, if my fork is absorbing too much of the upslope with the take off being so short and sharp?

Technique-wise I'm pushing down into the upslope to pump the bike. I'm not boosting the jump as it is so short and I don't have time. Perhaps I'm pumping too late?

Fork-wise I'm running a Fox Float RL, set to approximately 25% sag. I own a FS bike so it has a long wheelbase and isn't exactly a dirt jumper!

So, do people think this is a technique thing or is it likely to be as simple as messing with the air pressure in my fork? I'm thinking that more pressure will mean my bike tracks the upslope more rather than absorb it? I understand that the pro's run stiff front ends anyway due to the pressure they put through the front as they ride, and I'm pretty happy I pressurise the front end and lean the bike over properly, so I'm tempted to try this but is there a suggested increment to reduce sag or is it just trial and error? Does anyone have experience as I'm worried it may negatively impact the performance of the fork in other (more common) riding situations? Alternatively, my fork is the RL version so I have a lockout and rebound adjustment. Would a partial engagement of the lockout improve things? Obviously I'm talking only slightly as I don't want to damage my fork or myself! I don't know if the Float has a blowout valve either. The other alternative is to adjust the shims in the fork, but I don't have the experience to do this so it would not be something I would consider now due to financial difficulties...

Thanks for the help! Sorry for the long post but trying to answer all the obvious questions before they get asked!

James

Comments

• FBM.BMX
    FBM.BMX Posts: 148
    slimboyjim wrote:
    pushing down into the upslope to pump the bike.

This is where you're going wrong, this isn't going to generating pump, but depumping as it were.

You know how you pump downs by having the front wheel glued initially, then push through your pedals, shifting your weight from front to back?

By doing what you're doing, you're killing your speed.

No matter what type of lip it is, you should always pull up off of it, and if you're confident with bunny hops, apply the same technique to jumping, but at mega chilled speed, off a lip it's not a snap, but a slow movement.

As for fork set up-

Slow rebound
    Higher spring rate
    Gobs of Low speed compression

Your trying to change your fork to pretty much rigid with no reactions to your inputs on the lip.
  • slimboyjim
    slimboyjim Posts: 367
    Great reply so thank you - I've something new to work on now! May toy with a little extra pressure in the fork too having thought about it...