Kryptonite New York 3000/STD

cyclingpast
cyclingpast Posts: 111
edited July 2011 in Commuting general
I've just bought a Kryptonite New York STD to lock up my pride and joy when I take it with me on holiday. However this has left me slightly confused; Is the New York STD the same as the New York 3000? Kryptonite's website has no mention of the 3000 at all (is it just another name for the STD?), and i'm desparately hoping if they are different that the STD is a newer/ better version, because I don't want the hassle of returning it to get a 3000.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Giant Defy 3
FCN 5

All wrenching and no riding makes me frickin' angry...

Comments

• dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    I wouldn't touch Kryptonite locks with a barge pole. Abus are far far better locks.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    The 3000 and the STD appear to be the same lock - I suspect its minor rebranding for dfferent markets. Sold Secure, the UK test agency for security products, rates the STD as "Bicycle Gold" which is what the 3000 is rated at on various websites. I'd stay with what you've got, there are bigger issues to worry about, it'll still deter the majority of thieves who arent going to take a close look and wonder if its a STD or a 3000 - they'll just see the yellow body and go look for something easier to steal.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    dilemna wrote:
    I wouldn't touch Kryptonite locks with a barge pole. Abus are far far better locks.
    Well you are entitled to your opinion.... Sold Secure rate 9 Kryptonite Products as 'Gold' against 2 of ABUS's and there is only one ABUS product - the 401 - that comes close to the New York.

Each to their own...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • dilemna
    dilemna wrote:
    Well you are entitled to your opinion.... Sold Secure rate 9 Kryptonite Products as 'Gold' against 2 of ABUS's and there is only one ABUS product - the 401 - that comes close to the New York.

Each to their own...

I had a Kryptonite New York lock. It is was as good as cheese. I lost the bike it was supposed to make secure. Never again. Abus Granite X Plus every time now preferably two of them.

You keep using Kryptonite locks for your bikes parked longside mine and that will be just fine and dandy by me.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
  • djrock
    djrock Posts: 66
    The 3000 and the STD appear to be the same lock - I suspect its minor rebranding for dfferent markets. Sold Secure, the UK test agency for security products, rates the STD as "Bicycle Gold" which is what the 3000 is rated at on various websites. I'd stay with what you've got, there are bigger issues to worry about, it'll still deter the majority of thieves who arent going to take a close look and wonder if its a STD or a 3000 - they'll just see the yellow body and go look for something easier to steal.

After seeing videos of products that sold secure have rated as gold being broken in no time, makes you wonder if the manufacturers pay them for that rating or sold secure are so out of touch with what tools/techniques that criminals use.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    djrock wrote:

After seeing videos of products that sold secure have rated as gold being broken in no time, makes you wonder if the manufacturers pay them for that rating or sold secure are so out of touch with what tools/techniques that criminals use.

I believe their testing methods have been called into question by Trading Standards...

If someone wants to break a lock and nick your bike, they will - The primary objective of any lock should be its 'deterrant' qualities. The secondary objective will be its resistance to attack. There's a lot of press out there on the Kryptonite New York locks, and the fact they're bright yellow makes them very distinctive - if you're using it correctly, that's enough to make your average bike thief walk on.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Nothing beats real world testing... Or indeed a beater locked up with a ridiculously overkill lock.

I tend to commute on my pompino and lock it up with an abus granite x-plus extreme, it simply isn't worth the time and effort of two long angle grinder cuts for the vast majority of thieves.
  • cyclingpast
    It's just been delivered, and I must say it's a formidable looking beast. Further googling whilst I should have been working today indicates that though kryptonite stopped calling it the 3000, and started caling it the STD, the 3000 name has stuck, so they're essentially the same (STD being newer). Though there are tougher locks (some of the Abus) out there, this one will suit me just fine; it requires two decent length angle grinder cuts and for a bargain £40 off ebay, that's not too much for peace of mind.
    Giant Defy 3
    FCN 5

• djrock
    Mr Plum wrote:
    I believe their testing methods have been called into question by Trading Standards...

If someone wants to break a lock and nick your bike, they will - The primary objective of any lock should be its 'deterrant' qualities. The secondary objective will be its resistance to attack. There's a lot of press out there on the Kryptonite New York locks, and the fact they're bright yellow makes them very distinctive - if you're using it correctly, that's enough to make your average bike thief walk on.

I hope so, since they are misleading people into thinking their lock is good since they have rated it.

Totally agree. If they want it, they will have it. Or try there best.
    it requires two decent length angle grinder cuts
    I think one cut and a scaffolding pole could do it.

Make sure you fill the space. Since if you don’t there’s a possibility to fit a mini bottle jack in and jack it open.

Its still a decent lock, which should deter the average thief.
  • dilemna
    It's just been delivered, and I must say it's a formidable looking beast. Further googling whilst I should have been working today indicates that though kryptonite stopped calling it the 3000, and started caling it the STD, the 3000 name has stuck, so they're essentially the same (STD being newer). Though there are tougher locks (some of the Abus) out there, this one will suit me just fine; it requires two decent length angle grinder cuts and for a bargain £40 off ebay, that's not too much for peace of mind.

S - T - D ??? :lol:

For another £40-50 you could have bought a proper lock which if your bike is nicked, you will wish you had spent. How much is your bike worth?
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    The sold secure ratings are based on the time it takes a lock to be broken when attacked by a standard set of tools, which is supposedly based on police information relating to the tools that arrested bike thieves actually carry.

Bottle jacks and bolt cutters are notable by their absence from said standard toolkits. It is also left as an exercise for the reader to decide whether basing the standard toolkits on that carried by bike thieves that have been caught is necessarily wise.
  • cyclingpast
    dilemna wrote:

S - T - D ??? :lol:

For another £40-50 you could have bought a proper lock which if your bike is nicked, you will wish you had spent. How much is your bike worth?

Yes, would love to meet whoever thought up the name!

I wouldn't say the New York isn't a 'proper lock'. It'll do what I need, along with another lock for the front wheel (which is an Abus) and anti-theft skewers. It's mainly for my bike that I'm taking to Uni in October, which is an old '97 model Kona Koa I bought second hand for about £70 and have tinkered about with a bit; it looks crap but rides brilliantly. My roadie cost £450, but i've never had to use a bike lock with it, it gets locked away in a secure room at work.
    Giant Defy 3
    FCN 5

• andrewlwood
    andrewlwood Posts: 224
    dilemna wrote:

It seems like you are making a broad judgement based on one experience you had. You used a NYC, they got through it. Had you been using the Granit at the time, there is nothing to say that they wouldn't have done the same. If 'pro' thieves want your bike, they'll take it unless it's locked up with an almax chain. Even then, they'll strip it for parts.

Nowhere online can I find anything that pits the two locks against each other, and your anecdote doesn't really prove anything.
  • djrock

Sold Secure rate 9 Kryptonite Products as 'Gold' against 2 of ABUS's and there is only one ABUS product - the 401 - that comes close to the New York.
    What about the Abus Granit Extreme 59?
    nation wrote:
    Bottle jacks and bolt cutters are notable by their absence from said standard toolkits. It is also left as an exercise for the reader to decide whether basing the standard toolkits on that carried by bike thieves that have been caught is necessarily wise.
    It costs nothing to fill the d-locks space up, which will make it difficult to get a mini bottle jack in.

Just because bottle jacks are not on the list does not mean sold secure should not test locks with them.
  • dilemna
    dilemna wrote:

It seems like you are making a broad judgement based on one experience you had. You used a NYC, they got through it. Had you been using the Granit at the time, there is nothing to say that they wouldn't have done the same. If 'pro' thieves want your bike, they'll take it unless it's locked up with an almax chain. Even then, they'll strip it for parts.

Nowhere online can I find anything that pits the two locks against each other, and your anecdote doesn't really prove anything.

Do you work for Kryptonite or have an interest in selling their locks?
  • andrewlwood
    andrewlwood Posts: 224
    dilemna wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

Nope. Not affiliated with any lock company, don't work in the bike industry, no vested interests one way or the other. I do own a couple of Kryptonite NY locks, but I use Abus disclocks, padlocks and chains for my motorcycle.

I just think some balance needs to be added. Your story proves, I think, what is accepted wisdom pretty much everywhere: that even the toughest locks won't prevent a thief from taking your bike if he is well equipped and determined enough. I am genuinely sorry that your bike got nicked - my point is simply that the thief was determined enough to get through what is considered (in independent testing (not Sold secure testing)) to be one of the toughest locks on the market. I believe they would have broken your Abus, had you been using it at the time, and still got away with your bike.

B@st@rds.
  • munkeebob
    munkeebob Posts: 1
    Hi guys,

My first post on here, I did check first but couldn't find this mentioned.

I wanted to know if any of you know why this Kryptonite lock on Amazon is for sale at two different prices. Is it the same lock?

Lock 1 £50

Lock 2 £74

Both are sold by Amazon themselves.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    munkeebob wrote:
    Hi guys,

My first post on here, I did check first but couldn't find this mentioned.

I wanted to know if any of you know why this Kryptonite lock on Amazon is for sale at two different prices. Is it the same lock?

Lock 1 £50

Lock 2 £74

Both are sold by Amazon themselves.

I've got lock 1 .

I think it is the same lock.

But can't be 100% sure.

Amazon will often have the same item at vastly different prices.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Thebigbee
    Thebigbee Posts: 570
    I have a Kryptonite D lock and cable and Abus with non quick release everything and feel reasonable happy to leave it locked up somewhere sensible.

A determined thief will get your bike no matter what you do.

If you lock it to one of those bike stands like this http://www.metals4u.co.uk/products.asp?cat_id=182
    and the thief has a handy portable angle grinder it is probably easier for them to just make a cut in that and then bend it and release your bike!!
  • dilemna
    dilemna wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

Nope. Not affiliated with any lock company, don't work in the bike industry, no vested interests one way or the other. I do own a couple of Kryptonite NY locks, but I use Abus disclocks, padlocks and chains for my motorcycle.

I just think some balance needs to be added. Your story proves, I think, what is accepted wisdom pretty much everywhere: that even the toughest locks won't prevent a thief from taking your bike if he is well equipped and determined enough. I am genuinely sorry that your bike got nicked - my point is simply that the thief was determined enough to get through what is considered (in independent testing (not Sold secure testing)) to be one of the toughest locks on the market. I believe they would have broken your Abus, had you been using it at the time, and still got away with your bike.

B@st@rds.

Only time I have had a bike nicked is with a Kryptonite D lock locked it up in Bloomsbury, when I came back 2 hours later - bike gone. Since this time I have been using x2 Abus Granit X Plus D locks and my bike is ALWAYS there when I get back. This tells me something - not to use Kryptonite locks ever again as my Abus locks must also have a deterrent effect. You say you use Abus locks on your motorbike which is presumably much more valuable than your bicycle, so you support my contention that Abus locks are better.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    dilemna wrote:
    Only time I have had a bike nicked is with a Kryptonite D lock locked it up in Bloomsbury, when I came back 2 hours later - bike gone. Since this time I have been using x2 Abus Granit X Plus D locks and my bike is ALWAYS there when I get back. This tells me something - not to use Kryptonite locks ever again as my Abus locks must also have a deterrent effect.

Obviously you should have used 2 Kryptonite D locks :D
    FCN 2 to 8