Noob help please

joelsim
joelsim Posts: 7,552
edited July 2011 in Commuting general
I changed a puncture on my old Trek for the first time today. The other day I used my track pump for the first time as I wanted to see what the pressure was, and ended up breaking the rubber just below the valve. The good thing is that I now know how to use my track pump as of tonight. One down.

So I bought an inner tube, took the wheel off, disengaged the front brakes etc etc. All good. When I looked at the new inner tube (700x35/44) it was much bigger than the wheel it was going on (definitely a 700c) which surprised me. It was also quite broad all the way along.

To cut a long story short, I managed to do it after (only) 45 minutes of bother. Not bad, hopefully next time when I'm on my way to work in the rain I can crack it in 44 1/2 minutes and therefore not get drenched.

Only thing is, I don't think it looks right, see pic. Near the valve the tyre seems to be sitting up a little, not quite seated. I spent ages buggering about to try to get it to seat properly to no avail. Is this bad?

Help needed please.
IMG_0508.jpg

Comments

• joelsim
    Sorry I can't post an image at the right size either.
  • mike23864
    mike23864 Posts: 54
    The tyre is sitting on the tube so isnt seating properly. Let air out completely. Loosen lockring and push valve back into hole. Push tyre down into wheelwell, pump partially, tighten locking and bring up to pressure.
  • joelsim
    You're a good man, I'll try that now. Not very good at this sort of thing.
  • joelsim
    Job done. Great tip. Much appreciated.