TT helmets

Speedmenace
Speedmenace Posts: 97
edited July 2011 in Amateur race
How many of you guys only have a aero helmet, I haven't got a helmet yet and might buy an aero helmet for the upcoming TT I have, I was thinking about using it for general riding too, or is that a bit stupid?

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    I have an aero helmet that I use for TT's, wouldn't consider using it for normal riding though.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    what danowat said. i'd buy a "normal" helmet first - plenty of people tt in those.
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    You'll look pretty foolish riding around in a TT helmet - outside of a TT and even then they look a little silly. Buy 2 helmets or (dare I say it) buy a TT helmet and don't bother with a helmet at all for regular riding (without opening the whole helmet debate can of worms)
  • I think I'd choose to ride everywhere ib a normal helmet than only a TT helmet for TTs. Problem with TT helmets is they block out a lot of noise - I find it difficult to judge traffic position, which is OK when your on the rivet on a DC maybe, but not for general riding. I would never contemplate riding on the road without a helmet unless I was pissed, which tells you all you need to know!
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Agree with not using a tt helmet for normal riding, I won't even wear mine to ride out to an event! Depending on the helmet, they can be bloody uncomfortable around the ears and tend to get very hot, you can blot this out in a race, but there's no way I could put up with it on a pootle round the lanes. Plus of course we do look even more ridiculous in a pointy hat...
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Problem with TT helmets is they block out a lot of noise - I find it difficult to judge traffic position,
    I find just the opposite. My Giro Advantage cuts out a lot of the wind noise that I get with a standard helmet so I can hear what is going on behind me. My old MDT fairing was even better.
  • John.T wrote:
    Problem with TT helmets is they block out a lot of noise - I find it difficult to judge traffic position,
    I find just the opposite. My Giro Advantage cuts out a lot of the wind noise that I get with a standard helmet so I can hear what is going on behind me. My old MDT fairing was even better.

Hey that was the TT helmet I was looking to get, its down to £105 now
    I think cutting out the sound helps you zone in and focus