Carbon seat post and Ti frame

walkingbootweather
walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
edited July 2011 in The workshop
Just ordered a new carbon seat post to go with a Ti frame. Should I lube the post before inserting and if with what? Any other tips to ensure post doesn't move but doesn't seize either?

Cheers.
Nobody told me we had a communication problem

Comments

• andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    carbon assembly paste. NOT grease. Apparently it can do funny things to the resin.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Rule74Please
    Rule74Please Posts: 307
    Just shove it in.

If many years down the road it is seized remove the bb insert an can of coke and presto it is free
  • Thanks guys,

Have read mixed reports about various pastes / compounds etc. Carbon assemby paste appears recommended where both elements are carbon, but not necessarily when carbon is mated to Ti as far as I can see.

Not sure I follow Rule74Please. What do I need to do with the can of coke to unseize?

Seat post on order from CRC so hopefully guidance will be supplied.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    my wife's carbon fibre wrapped seatpost was slipping down her old alu framed bike. carbon paste sorted it.

I now use this paste on seatpost and stem parts on our alu and Ti frames. You need less clamping force with this type of paste.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    carbon assembly paste. NOT grease. Apparently it can do funny things to the resin.

FWIW I seem to recall reading somewhere that Carbon seatposts can seize up and there have been lots of people chiming in on this forum about just that happening. However, I disagree that grease or oil of any kind will damage carbon and or it's resin. I do know for a fact that one of the few things that WILL damage it is paint remover. I used grease for years when I had a carbon post without problems of any kind and never had one stick or seize.
  • Appreciate everyone's comments. I checked with manufacturer (FSA) who were less than useless. My LBS recommended carbon assembly paste too. Didn't have any for sale so gave me some from his workshop in a little bag for free. This is why we like LBS.

All fitted now and seems fine.