Tour de France tips for watching final day in Paris

nickthetrick
nickthetrick Posts: 43
edited July 2011 in Pro race
Hi,
I'm going to be in Paris for the final weekend of the tour this year :D

Does anyone have any tips for where to watch, what time to get there, where to pick up freebies, post-race glimpses of riders etc?!

Thanks in advance,
nick

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Get there very early....

With the Tour, it's tough to see them pre or post stage without the correct accreditation.
  • polocini
    polocini Posts: 201
    Personally I would head for the Rue de Rivoli around the flamme rouge. There is beer/food/toilets in the fun fair. The norwegians around there are usually a good laugh as well. Just after the flamme rouge is the Metro Concorde so it's reasonably easy to get away. You don't need to be that early in this area. I have been here for the last three years.

Or you can take a fold up chair and try and get a place on the grass overlooking the place de la concorde. There is a view over to the big screen and you can make out some of the Champs Elysees. This gets busy from early doors.

The caravan gives away hardly any tat in Paris. I think they get rid of it early in the stage. There are usually plenty of green pmu hands though.

There is no chance of getting anywhere near the riders or bikes.
    AL
  • weapons
    weapons Posts: 367
    I got to the Champs Elysee at around 10am and got a place right at the front of the barrier. It didn't get really busy until a few hours later. I stationed myself outside the McDonald's - useful for the toilets!
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    Top of the Champs Elysees at exit of the turn, you'd need to be there before 9 for a good spot ... prepare for a very very long day ! If you wait until the very end, you'll get to see the riders at the photo shoot. Don't expect any freebies, I don't think it's allowed in Paris, probably due the the barriers ...
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • Steve2020
    Steve2020 Posts: 133
    When I went I valued shade more highly than a good viewing spot by the time the race came round!
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    No freebies off the caravan - maybe a cooling spray of water from the Vittel girls! I head for Rue de Rivoli as previously mentioned as there are bars and toilets. However to get a front row spot on the barriers I found you need to be in position around 11am. I like the top of the Rue de Rivoli opposite the top corner of the Tuilleries as you see the riders race up from the flamme rouge and you can look across the place du concorde and see the rest of the action on the big screen.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    First time I went, watched from a spot by the finish, but on the opposite side of the road, if that makes sense. Pretty well shaded under the trees and of course the advantage of being on the Champs Ellysees is that you get to see the riders twice on each lap.

But I reckon all the suggestions posted are pretty good, it's not the greatest stage to actually see the riders, it's all about the atmosphere. Make sure you hang about after the finish for the riders "parade" lap.

Hope you have a great time, Nick the Trick!
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Rue de Rivoli is good, but if you can make it onto the Champs Elysee then you get the advanatge of seiing them go up then come back down.

Take a seat. Take lots to drink. Take even more to drink. Go early, maybe even earlier. Expext a long wait. The Metro stations close to the race course get closed by thepolice fairly quickly so get off a stop early. Suncream and a hat (sorry if I sound like your mum here).

Enjoy.

Freebies - non existent. Been twice and struggled to get PMU hands (had to ask for them on Rue de Rivoli by flame rouge).
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    I have watched the final stage in Paris about 6 times now and by far and away the best peice of advice I can give is to take a folding chair. You really will be glad you did. Try not to make it too big as you have to lug it round with you and when it folds up you will need to store it by your feet etc but it will be a godsend.
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    sorry t'interweb playing up. x2 post
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Oh and hang around after - they usually do a lap of honour - or they did last time i was there on the Champs.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Take the folding chair, esky, picnic and settle in for the day from very early on....

or you could do what I saw a couple of guys do a few years ago at LAs final presentation (1st time around), they had brought their step ladders and sat on the top shelf....ingenious :D
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Or you could pay these people lots of money!

http://www.sportstoursinternational.co. ... d-packages
  • If you want to get near the riders, the stage start is normally a good bet, or Ave Foch - the other side of the Arch de Triomphe - after the finish - the riders tend to soft pedal down there on the way back to the team buses.
  • Thanks for all the great advice!!! :D

I'm going to peruse through it with a paris street map on hand and work out a strategy. Going to be travelling light so I suspect step-ladder or even a folding chair is not going to happen, we'll see about a little rug or something tho...

Cheers,
    Nick