Bike Servicing in Reading

apreading
apreading Posts: 4,535
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Does anyone have any recommendations/warnings of somewhere to get a bike service done in Reading?

Brakes need bleeding, possible sticky piston on one, have a new fork to fit.

AW Cycles can do the above for about £75 but need the bike left with them for at least 10 days.

Decathlon can do it in 2 days for £50 but I dont know what they are like

Looking at the website, Berkshire bikes could do a Gold Service for £80 which would strip down everything, degrease and regrease hubs/BB etc and includes the brake bleed and fitting new forks I think, so might be worth considering. But I am not sure that the Reading shop is really up to this - I dont think they have a proper workshop, perhaps Crowthorne do.

Are there any others to consider?

Dont really want to leave it with someone for 10 days and I know last time they told me that it was 3 weeks...!

Comments

• anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    Think you will find most places will have a wait at the mo.

Could also consider

http://www.mountain-trax.com/
    or

http://www.cyclezoneuk.com/
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    AW are very good.

Some others i'd rather not comment on as i'm nice.

Trailjunkies in Goring are my LBS since Mountain High closed. Funnily enough mine is going to there on Thurs.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I'll do them for you if you like. Shouldn't take more than an hour. Call it payment for your excellent trail map of swinley which I give out to my friends looking for the trails there!

Seriously, if you want I'm happy to do it one evening. I'm based in wokingham. What brakes are they?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • apreading
    Thats really kind of you Ben and would be really appreciated but I am not sure I can impose on you that much?

Brakes are Juicy 3's

I have an AVID bleed kit, have watched the videos but not brave enough to do it as every time I touch the brakes I seem to have a nightmare...

Actually I dont think the front one needs bleeding, but there is an issue with the rear - I couldnt put new pads in it because I couldnt push the pistons far enough apart to stop them binding. I think one of the pistons may be sticking and not retracting as far as it should? In the end I took the part worn pads off the front and they went in the back OK and work fine. However, in fiddling with it, I think I lost a tiny amount of fluid - they still work fine but I have to pull the lever more than expected.

I think the rear may therefore need more than just a straightforward bleed to sort it properly. However it may just be me, being dumb and not knowing what I am doing.

to me, it sounds a bit like this http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/avid-sticky-pistons-amp-bleeding-stupid-contraptions which sounds like a load of pain.

Also need new fork cut & SFN fitted and then installed in bike & set up.

I think this would be too much to ask, so LBS is in order.

But I would love to have someone show me how to bleed the brakes so I might take you up on that if you dont mind?
  • benpinnick
    AP, its no problems. Fixing people's bikes keeps me out of all the other mischief I may get into. The pistons sticking is a common issue on Avids. There is a block that comes with the bleed kit that you can use to free them up, otherwise its disassembly time. Either way its no big hassle to do. I must however remember the safety goggles when freeing up stuck pistons after disassembly, DOT oil really stings when you get it in your eyes :shock:

I can do the forks for you too, I have a cutting guide and all that jazz (my garage is more workshop than anything else). Forks probably need about 30 mins, brakes about 30 too if all goes well. Add on another 30 mins for general bike set up and you're there.

Unfortunately I cant do before about 8:30 on weekday evenings, so that would mean not planning on leaving mine until 10:00 (which I am ok with but you might have better things to do) and I am pretty tied up this weekend, but the following one is free though if you can wait, which would suit me best, and maybe once its done we could hit Swinley?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • apreading
    You sir - are an absolute star!

This is even better because I will then learn how to do some of these things for myself, which is where I want to get to.

I will check with the missus what plans are in place for that weekend - could be viable but weekends have been V busy lately. I could certainly do any night next week if that plan fails though.

You will have to let me reward you for your trouble though - either in beer or money...!

I am guessing that I would need to bring an SF Nut and whatever adapter my brakes need for the new fork - moving from IS mount to Post mount which should be straightforward as long as I have the right parts.
  • benpinnick
    Lol, yes, having the right parts would be a bonus! I probably have many spare SFNs lying around as I use a head doctor but get one with every headset.

PM me with your number and I will text you back. An evening next week would be fine. I accept both beer and wine as payment, although none is required.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • apreading
    Just wanted to say a big thanks to Ben.

One of the pistons was indeed stuck on the rear calipers and he took the whole thing apart and freed it.

It makes a big difference seeing someone bleed brakes in the flesh, compared to reading or watching youtube on the internet. I left wondering why I was so nervous about doing it, and quite happy now to tackle anything with my brakes.

I still feel guilty taking up a big chunk of your evening Ben, but really grateful that you did.

Thanks again