Garmin - communication issue !

yenrod
yenrod Posts: 135
edited August 2011 in The bottom bracket
..anyone ever tried calling them... ??????????

Been on the phone for collectively about 25mins....all on hold not talked to anyone ???

:twisted:

- Though some good soul may be able to help me about it here;

I've had my 705 since March 2010 used it pretty extensively really good tool etc...

BUT whats happened recent - Is that it just isn't holding a charge, has the Battery 'gone' ???
[;)] 'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]

Comments

• GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    I'd call Garmin and ask them.

Only joking. As it's over a year old it will be out of warranty but Garmin does a 60 pound repair service for out-of-warranty items (they basically send you a new one in exchange for your old one). 705s have a habit of poor battery connections which is what it sounds like yours is suffering from. There are various threads on the internet about how to fix it yourself, but it requires you to separate the 2 halves and then make sure it's correctly weather-sealed after.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    GiantMike wrote:
    I'd call Garmin and ask them.

Only joking. As it's over a year old it will be out of warranty but Garmin does a 60 pound repair service for out-of-warranty items (they basically send you a new one in exchange for your old one). 705s have a habit of poor battery connections which is what it sounds like yours is suffering from. There are various threads on the internet about how to fix it yourself, but it requires you to separate the 2 halves and then make sure it's correctly weather-sealed after.

The price depends on which device you have. They want over £100 for my Forerunner 310XT - I'd be surprised if the 705 was any less than that.

To the OP - only time I ever called Garmin I got through quickly and problem was sorted quickly as well. One things for sure - you'll get a reply quicker by phone than if you email them.
    More problems but still living....
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    When I sat on my 705 and cracked the screen I had to phone them. Got through fine. I guess they're just having a bad day.

They wanted something like £110 to exchange it. :evil:
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I assume a hard reset hasn't made any difference?
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Garmin's customer service is frankly w**k

I'm afraid you are pretty much on your own, indeed just as I was when it dumped me lost miles from home.
  • yenrod
    yenrod Posts: 135
    What happened with this was I EVENTUALLY got thru to 'em - they waived the warranty (as it was just over the limit) & sent me a reconditioned model after i sent my original 705 back to them.

Yes, I feel quite lucky!!!!!
    [;)] 'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]
  • chiark
    chiark Posts: 335
    That's excellent :D

My second hand 705 occasionally drops the USB connection... I know it's down to the connectors inside, but I'm not terribly keen to get it cracked open. Might phone 'em :D
    Synapse Alloy 105 / Rock Lobster Tig Team Sl
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've had 3 705s replaced under warranty in the 18 months since I bought mine, the only expense has been the postage to Southampton. The last replacement took over a month due to lack of 705 stock so Garmion phoned me up and asked wether I wanted to wait but couldn't say how long it would be or did I wasnt an Edge 800 foc? Guess my chosen option :D:D
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.