Is this normal...

moster
moster Posts: 121
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
...or is it the sign of a problem?

I had to push my bike for about 200 yards yesterday (due to getting lost and finding myself in stuff that wasn't rideable :oops: ).

Anyway I noticed that when doing so the cranks keep turning...I cant remember it doing this before and just want to catch any potential problem early.

Could it be a casette/freehub issue?

Thanks!
When you hear hoofbeats, think of horses, not zebras.

Comments

• JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    No, they shouldn't turn. Can't think of what that might be. Freehub? Possibly not even an issue. Any play in the cassette? How does the cassette feel turning it by hand when off the bike?
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Why was it un ridable? Was it mud? If mud that could get into the chain, cassette, FH ect and cause it to gine more than usual.

Thing to check is with it all clean, just riding down the road and take both your legs off does it spin?
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Doesnt mean theres a big issue, probably just a bit grungy in the cassette, which is causing it to stick. Probably time to strip down and clean (the cassette, not you).
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The freehub bearings still create friction (doesn't matter when your peddling as its doesn't spin!), a number of my bikes have doen this, some crud between cassette and spokes/hub will also encourage it - no worry.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • moster
    moster Posts: 121
    cheers guys, think I'll give it a good clean tonight and see if that sorts it.
    When you hear hoofbeats, think of horses, not zebras.