Track Pumps.

rubertoe
rubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
Can someone recomend me a track pump - i am sick of using a hand pump and getting nowhere near the recomended PSi.

So am after a track pump - but from what i have seen - £20 - £30- seems to be an avareage price - but that seems a bit steep to me.

Anyone know of any cheaper options or wanna sell me one?

Rubertoe
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Joe Blow.

And not just for the name.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,384
    It's pretty much a once only purchase, so spend that little bit extra. Like my grandfather said, buy the best tools you can afford - it's not as if the cheaper ones are that much cheaper anyway.

Oh, and you can't go wrong with a Joe Blow.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    Thirded - Joe Blow
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I bought a Specialized one that has been faultless so far.

Anthing above the Lidl level should be fine - one point though, the one thing I have never regretted spending money on is good tools. I've really regretted spending money on bad tools. Don't go silly, but buy something decent.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • I was using my Lidl level pump the other day to pump up a virtually flat tyre to 80psi, as I was nearly there the whole shaft/pump assembly blew out from the base. It seems to have been glued in with hot melt glue, so as it gets hot it err... well.. melts.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Joe Blow Sports.... superb.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    get 1, I got got a bonty charger in a sale for £20

best buy ever, tyre chgange in less than 5 min and so forth

but by 1 that is metal (steel / alloy) no plastic
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Depends what you want it for. I have three:

Joe Blow - Fast to 120psi (and probably a bit higher) for the road bike.
    Rennkompressor - Goes to 200psi and beyond for tubs. Narrower barrel enables you to get very high pressure, but you push in less air with each pump, so takes quite a lot longer to inflate larger road tyres.
    Lezyne portable mini track pump thingy - Handles 120psi comfortably, but is very slow compared with a full-sized track pump. Comfortably the best portable pump I've used though...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Joe Blow :D
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Get a decent one, worth the price. We have a generic Halfords-style cheapo model and the PSI gauge is well out. Blown several tyres/tubes by overinflating before I realized it was under-reading. 110psi on the pump's gauge registered as 135psi on the Joe Blow at Evans. Now I know I use it for emergencies only and check/top up at Evans and will get a proper pump when I get round to it.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • ThatBikeGuy
    ThatBikeGuy Posts: 394
    Joe Blow Sport. Nice and sturdy, pumps my tyre's up in seconds and looks rather cool too.
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Looks like a Joe Blow it is then!

Now just need to find the best priice - what is the difference in the models?

Is there much difference between the MAX, the Sprint And the Sport - other than price?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • mossychops
    mossychops Posts: 262
    Fatbirds sell s Sport 2 for £25 at the moment, but they charge for postage. If you have a local Evans they will price match this for you, print out the page and take it in.

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/detail.asp/sk ... Sport_Pump