Stem length

Eyon
Eyon Posts: 623
edited July 2011 in Road buying advice
I'm running a 110mm stem right now, and if you go by the usual fitting formula's this is in the lower/middle range of what I should use for my body/arm length.

However I my bike massively stretched, and unless I am really hammering I tend to now ride on the tops.

I certainly think I'd be more comfortable with a shorter stem, but, how short?

I dont want to buy something 20mm shorter and find its too short, yet at the same time I dont want to buy one 10mm shorter and feel no difference?

Is there any exacting science as to how much shorter will be right to save a few quid? or is it literally just trial and error?

Ian

Comments

• zippypablo
    zippypablo Posts: 398
    I'm afraid bike fitting guides are not an exact science- different body shapes etc.

Your options are to pay for a professional bike fitting service (I'm sure someone here could suggest one close to you).

Or you could take your bike to a decent shop where they'll probable let you try a few different lengths of stem in the shop and perhaps give you some advice.

Good luck.
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • antikythera
    antikythera Posts: 326
    Bit of an out of fashion measuring approach:

Sitting on you bike in your preferred position, when looking down toward your front wheel, the bars "should" be inline with the front hub. If the hub appears behind the bars; the stems too long and if it appears in front of the bars the stems too short.

Having said that I get fitted every few years and the above technique has always been true for me, YMMV.
  • Eyon
    strangely I've tried the looking over the bar method. However my bike (specialized secteur) has quite a large fork rake it seems and even with 110mm the QR is in front of the bars.

I'll have to pester my friends to see if anyone has a short stem, sadly I only have access in my own collection to 110mm, 70mm and 40mm, none of which will be suitable!
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Hi Eyon

I bought a Spesh Sectuer Elite last autumn and after test riding a 56" and 58" frame I opted for the 58 because at the time it felt the most comfortable (I am 181cm tall with 84cm inseam)

However after a month or so riding I got the distinct feeling that I was stretching a bit too much - I normally ride on the brake hoods and only rarely use the drops for head winds etc.

I opted to change the stem and bought a new 90mm one to replace the 110mm stem fitted as standard. This has resulted in a big improvement in comfort although there is a slight niggle that I could have chanced it and gone for the 75mm option. Anyway I'm happy with the 90mm and they're not too pricey if you want to take a risk.
  • Get a proper bike fit, or ask to borrow a couple from your LBS to determine what you prefer.
  • Eyon
    arlowood wrote:
    Hi Eyon

I bought a Spesh Sectuer Elite last autumn and after test riding a 56" and 58" frame I opted for the 58 because at the time it felt the most comfortable (I am 181cm tall with 84cm inseam)

However after a month or so riding I got the distinct feeling that I was stretching a bit too much - I normally ride on the brake hoods and only rarely use the drops for head winds etc.

I opted to change the stem and bought a new 90mm one to replace the 110mm stem fitted as standard. This has resulted in a big improvement in comfort although there is a slight niggle that I could have chanced it and gone for the 75mm option. Anyway I'm happy with the 90mm and they're not too pricey if you want to take a risk.

interesting, I am 185cm and have a ~89cm inseam and I find the 56cm frame a little stretched with a 110mm stem (not standard). Its an annoying size for me as due to my leg length my seat post is on the min. insert line but the bike feels too long to be comfortable as I have a very short torso.

I will try and find a 90mm one, maybe as an extreme I could try my 70mm one and see what thats like, just as an experiment.

Sadly a full bike fit is out of the question, I just cannot afford one right now!