Why are people like that?

mossychops
mossychops Posts: 262
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
I have been reading the forums here and recently got round to registering and started posting. It seems that there are so many people on here that are just here to be nasty. They read threads they say are annoying them and pointless, yet they keep reading them and posting comments about the other people commenting rather than the subject itself.

Cyclists are usually a friendly bunch and what these people get out of it, I don't know. I of course realise the irony that I have just stated a thread which is likely to draw these people in to post abuse (I also realise that a lot of the time it's justified, but sometimes you just see the same people just being bitchy).

Comments

• raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    mossy, it's just human nature I'm afraid. Any online forum attracts a wide mix of people, some are positive, friendly and encouraging, others more negative and like to have a moan. Forums can only really reflect society; at least you can always 'leave the room'.
    However, I must say that overall my experience of these forums has been good; I've interacted with a lot of friendly, helpful and sympathetic people who have a good attitude and engage in thoughtful, considerate conversation, often with a huge helping of humour too.

There's a story about Jaques Anquetil, the great rider. It was said that, if Jaques was in a room with 5,000 people, and 4,998 of them were cheering for him, Jaques wold only hear the 2 that were against him! I guess the trick is to listen to the people that you want to, and ignore the others.!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • mossychops
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    mossy, it's just human nature I'm afraid. Any online forum attracts a wide mix of people, some are positive, friendly and encouraging, others more negative and like to have a moan. Forums can only really reflect society; at least you can always 'leave the room'.
    However, I must say that overall my experience of these forums has been good; I've interacted with a lot of friendly, helpful and sympathetic people who have a good attitude and engage in thoughtful, considerate conversation, often with a huge helping of humour too.

There's a story about Jaques Anquetil, the great rider. It was said that, if Jaques was in a room with 5,000 people, and 4,998 of them were cheering for him, Jaques wold only hear the 2 that were against him! I guess the trick is to listen to the people that you want to, and ignore the others.!

I do agree of all the forums I read this is the friendliest, I am costantly amazed how much effort people will give in order to help out others with problems and questions, even when it has been asked countless time before.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    edited July 2011
    This thread is utterly without purpose and you, sir, are an idiot.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

EDIT: spelling mistake...
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • mossychops
    DesWeller wrote:
    This thread is utterly without puyrpose and you, sir, are an idiot.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Banter is expected, lol.

*Waits for the major lashing and name calling, education questioning because DesWeller has made a typo!!!!!*
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I sometimes wonder why people post just to be negative, but the good outweighs the bad and the negative makes you appreciate the positive.

I posted something quite negative in Cake Stop last week and was rightly pulled up on it, so I posted again saying basically the same thing, but with a much friendlier spin on it. Sometimes people get caught up in the anonymous 'keyboard warrior' mindset and say things they wouldn't say face to face or just don't really mean. Other people are just stupid/mean and I wouldn't worry my pretty little head about them.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Mossychps said
    It seems that there are so many people on here that are just here to be nasty.

I can't really agree, yeah there may be the occassional nasty but on the whole most contributers are friendly, helpful and entertaining (lots of banter). If you want to see nasty forums check out your local newspaper online, that tends to bring out plenty of nutters and fascists.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Hi Mossychops,

Did you pick your name based on the discovery of the fossil Mosschops the dinosaur about thirteen years ago out of interest?

I named my newly born staffie cross Mosschops in it's honour back then - name got corrupted to "Chopper" fairly swiftly, but it always makes me smile when the annual card comes throught the door from the vets addressed to Mosschops H****** inviting him in for a checkup.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • mossychops
    SimonAH wrote:
    Hi Mossychops,

Did you pick your name based on the discovery of the fossil Mosschops the dinosaur about thirteen years ago out of interest?

I named my newly born staffie cross Mosschops in it's honour back then - name got corrupted to "Chopper" fairly swiftly, but it always makes me smile when the annual card comes throught the door from the vets addressed to Mosschops H****** inviting him in for a checkup.

Yes, I did but Mosschops was already taken, so I have a couple of variations I use. There was an animation about this dinosaur when I was a kid too.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I don't see much on this forum to make me wince - on the whole it's pretty easy-going, which makes it a better place to be. A bit of edge is sometimes welcome though, esp in the helmet wars.

Another (non cycling) forum that I occasionally faff about on is treading eggshells time when it comes to making passing comments, or advice on anything. There really are some people who will jump down your throat at the slightest irregularity or shortcoming in any point you may have tried to make, regardless of intent or bearing on the wider point.

In the end, people is people and some always want the last word or to be proven right on any minor technicality.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Raymondo60 wrote:

Big room that- certainly a shade bigger than my lounge
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I blame me.

Well someone will, eventually... may as well get the first boot in.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • EKE_38BPM
    Yeah, its all DDD's fault. Bloody cyclist!

• rickyrider
    rickyrider Posts: 294
    Ginjafro wrote:
    Mossychps said
    It seems that there are so many people on here that are just here to be nasty.

I can't really agree, yeah there may be the occassional nasty but on the whole most contributers are friendly, helpful and entertaining (lots of banter). If you want to see nasty forums check out your local newspaper online, that tends to bring out plenty of nutters and fascists.

Yep - as a (very casual) poster, but more regular lurker, I'd say the bikeradar site has a pretty good ratio of good 'uns to bad 'uns. If you want a bunch of total crazies, read the Cycling News forums... truly scary - where do they breed these people?
  • mossychops
    After re-reading my post there I should have put "some people on here". I do think, and have said a couple of time, of all the forums this is the friendliest I have read.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    I blame wiggle
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I blame me.

Well someone will, eventually... may as well get the first boot in.

Beat me to it :wink:
  • desweller
    mossychops wrote:
    After re-reading my post there I should have put "some people on here". I do think, and have said a couple of time, of all the forums this is the friendliest I have read.

Are you grooming us?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • mossychops
    Are you grooming us?[/quote]

Depends, are your legs shaved?
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    It's the nature of the beast I'm afraid.
    A little while back a chap posted with concerns about his depression, there followed a good few pages packed full of supotive and positive coments.
    Graham.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I too browse and post on many a forum.

Have to say that the commuting section on here is one of the most friendly I have encountered (I can't vouch for any of the other bikeradar forums).
    FCN = 4
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    I too browse and post on many a forum.

Have to say that the commuting section on here is one of the most friendly I have encountered (I can't vouch for any of the other bikeradar forums).

+1 to that. My posts have always been responded to with support, helpfulness, courtesy, and humour; any p8sstaking has been very gentle and perfectly acceptable. I think this is a particularly good forum, which is why I use it. I can vouch for the Workshop forum in much the same terms.
  • desweller
    You're all a bunch of nob-jockeys.

Am I getting the hang of this trolling lark yet?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    DesWeller wrote:
    You're all a bunch of nob-jockeys.

Am I getting the hang of this trolling lark yet?

God no.

You have to make a seemingly valid point but couched in such terms that it manages to subtly insult everyone.

For example:

MTB riders lack the imagination of roadies as they simply bought bigger BMX bikes when they got too big for their kiddies bikes. I reckon there's a certain degree of latent femininity lurking in there as well, - MTBs look like mixties with overly aggressive parts - you know: overcompensating.

That's trolling :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    The attention seekers are the ones who wind me up. I think there are few people on here who are actually mean, I think most of it is just done for attention which I find quite perculiar. After a while you see the same sort of people who will always be involved in 'controversy' which I think is just to ensure people talk about them.

I have not been on many other forums but have enjoyed this a lot and learnt a lot so am happy here.

I think it has got a little better over the last 6 months as well. There really used to be a bit of a London clique but that doesn't really seem in force any more.
  • EKE_38BPM
    There really used to be a bit of a London clique but that doesn't really seem in force any more.

Yeah, we've been slacking and have got to work on that. Pint in the Morpeth anyone?

• mossychops
    There is definately just a few that join in and get very offensive to anyone who puts forward an oposing opinion - all kept pretty quiet in this thread mind you.

There are so many friendlies on here (particularly the commuting rooms) I am tempted to get a job in London just so I can commute in on my bike. Anyone need any IT guys?
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    There are also those that just love a good row, always finding a contradictory stance to take and prepared to defend it against all comers.

I rather enjoy watching this. Especially if presented with a bit of humour.
  • Graham. wrote:
    It's the nature of the beast I'm afraid.
    A little while back a chap posted with concerns about his depression, there followed a good few pages packed full of supotive and positive coments.
    Graham.

That was me. I was blown away by the support, it actually became a turning point for me.
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra