Giro Prolight or Atmos??

rozzer32
rozzer32 Posts: 3,898
edited July 2011 in Road buying advice
So it's time for a new helmet and I can't choose between the Atmos or Prolight. I have tried them both on in the LBS and both fit just as well as each other. And they are both roughly the same price.

I just wondered if anyone has got any experience with either and could give me some help?
***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    The Prolight is being replaced by the newer Aeon FYI, you could try the Ionos too, nice helmet imo. Don't have any direct experience of the Atmos, almost bought one.
  • rozzer32
    Yea I tried the Ionos as well but something just didn't feel right with it. And to be honest the maximum I want to spend is about £100. The new Aeon although nice is like £150 which is just too much for me.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Well in that case I guess whichever one feels better and you prefer the look of quite honestly. They're both Giros which as you probably know, makes a good helmet.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Fudges are doing the prolight for £89 if that swings it?
  • rozzer32
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

Yes and ribble have the Atmos for £91. So much of a muchness really, kind of tempted by the prolight at the minute.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I've used both.

Currently using the ProLight. It's really, really light (thus the name) and I like it.

I prefer the look/shape of the Atmos (purely an aesthetic thing though). But if you like th elook of the ProLight and it fits - much better choice than the Atmos.

That new Aeon would be my choice now if I had the funds. Perfect combination of lightness and a shape I like.
  • rozzer32
    So I went to the LBS after work today and they had the new Aeon in stock.

:shock: I want one soooo badly. The fit was great and it is bloody light.

Also tried the S-Works prevail and I liked that as well. Think the thing putting me off that is that I am a tart. The S-Works wouldn't match any of my gear. If I rode a specialized and has spesh clothing etc then fine, but I don't.

Also after trying on the prolight again I have dismissed it.

So now it's between an Atmos or Aeon.

So confused as to which to go for :(
  • ShutUpLegs
    Cheapest Aeon I've seen is Wheelies at £160 when using the voucher 'ford'
  • rozzer32
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Cheapest Aeon I've seen is Wheelies at £160 when using the voucher 'ford'

Ever asked you to prove you're part of Ford?
  • MIABS
    MIABS Posts: 53
    rozzer32 wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

Yes and ribble have the Atmos for £91. So much of a muchness really, kind of tempted by the prolight at the minute.

I have an Atmos and I am very happy with it.

Wiggle are doing a special TDF offer in over the next weeks. If you wait over the next few days , i'm sure they will do a special on helmets and you may get it cheaper.

As for the helmet, its light ( not as the prolight ) , good ventilation .. only thing that Cycling plus mentioned in a recent review is that the plastic doesn't come right down to the bottom and the shell material shows a bit . But I think its great.

I would buy it instead of a 150 pound aeon and use the money for more kit.
    My ride: Ribble New Sportive Racing
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,470
    Tried on the aeon recently and was disappointed to find that the fit seems to be a bit different from the ionos / atmos and doesn't really work for me. Seems to sit really high up and to be pretty wide internally. On my head at least, the ionos, atmos and prolight fit about the same, but the aeon is the odd one out.

Bell works better for me, I'm currently using the volt, which is perfect in all respects other than weight. I think ventilation is more important than weight in a helmet in any case - the ionos and volt at least are both very good in this respect - I think they have the edge on the atmos. Don't know about the prolight or the aeon, but would imagine that the latter at least is pretty good as it is a new helmet.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I have had an Atmos and Prolight.
    I found the weight difference to be significant over a long ride - the Prolight being lighter and, with the slightly Heath Robinson elastic straps, more comfortable than the Atmos. No concerns about durability of these straps - still as good as new on mine after a couple of years.
    Another negative from the Atmos (new model may not have this problem) was at speed I often experienced alot of wind noise - not a problem with the Prolight.
    The only downside I've noted about the Prolight is that on a very warm day the ventilation is not nearly as effective as the Atmos.
    The new Giro may be the best of both worlds combining the light weight construction of the Prolight with the ventilation of the Atmos. Haven't tried one on yet, but all things being equal, that's where I'll be looking next.
    Peter
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    I have an Atmos and I find it very well vented. In fact I have to wear a cap under it outside high summer to avoid 'ice cream' headaches. I don't find the weight a problem, in the grand scheme of things they all weigh cock all!

I perssonally think the Atmos plenty expensive enough for a lump of polystyrene. The Aeon for example seems way over priced and I couldn't justify it.
  • rozzer32
    Went back to the LBS yesterday and tried the prolight, atmos, ionos and aeon on again. They even let me go for a quick spin up and down the road so I could get a quick rough idea of ventialtion etc.

In the end I went for the Ionos. Once I had adjusted it fully it fitted just as well as the other helmets, and they gave me a really good deal on it which made the choice easier.

Would have like the Aeon but couldn't justify the price, not to mention the fact that they couldn't get the colour I wanted for at least a month.
  • ShutUpLegs
    rozzer32 wrote:
    Went back to the LBS yesterday and tried the prolight, atmos, ionos and aeon on again. They even let me go for a quick spin up and down the road so I could get a quick rough idea of ventialtion etc.

In the end I went for the Ionos. Once I had adjusted it fully it fitted just as well as the other helmets, and they gave me a really good deal on it which made the choice easier.

Would have like the Aeon but couldn't justify the price, not to mention the fact that they couldn't get the colour I wanted for at least a month.

I see wiggle and primera have some more stock now of the Aeon, £160 with voucher codes though :roll: