lightweight not-too-baggy baggy shorts

English John
English John Posts: 36
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
Can anyone recommend "lightweight not-too-baggy baggy shorts" that don't have a fixed liner ?

I have padded liners , so they would go over these.

Any help, greatfully received

John

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I use 2 pairs of Fila sports shorts, cotton, light mesh inner for ventialtion, no liner and go over padded liners no problem, not waterproof but light and airy.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cycle100
    Cycle100 Posts: 16
    Have a look at the Troy range. I bought some a few years ago and still have them. Slightly pricier than most but v comfortable.
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Surface's Liquistretch shorts are what I use (£44.99 at Wiggle), mainly so I don't have to walk through the office in lycra - think courier chic and you're not far off.

I recommended them a while back and I know fellow forumite iPete is now a convert!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    lastant wrote:
    Surface's Liquistretch shorts are what I use (£44.99 at Wiggle), mainly so I don't have to walk through the office in lycra - think courier chic and you're not far off.

I recommended them a while back and I know fellow forumite iPete is now a convert!

me too!

Evans are selling them off cheap ...
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Just ignore cycle-specific over-priced stuff and buy some half decent sports shorts. I got a pair of lightweight overshorts from Millets for £5 that are lasting very well.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Castelli do something like that, no idea as to the model no though
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Endura Humvee 3/4s are my commuting garb of choice.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    bobinski wrote:
    lastant wrote:

me too!

And another +1 for these (as already mentioned). In fact I own them in 2 colours, they are super hard wearing and have done thousands of miles and don't show it, oh and they are water resistant.

p.s. used to wear humvees until I got these, the humvees feel horrible in comparison.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    iPete wrote:
    bobinski wrote:
    lastant wrote:

me too!

And another +1 for these (as already mentioned). In fact I own them in 2 colours, they are super hard wearing and have done thousands of miles and don't show it, oh and they are water resistant.

p.s. used to wear humvees until I got these, the humvees feel horrible in comparison.
    +Another for Surface Liquistretch
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    Lightweight shorts? As opposed to those heavy duty double tarpaulin ones with cast iron buttons?

EDIT
    A thing to read:
    http://www.theonion.com/articles/cyclist-friend-explains-necessity-of-35-socks,18259/
  • lightweight as in - not totally sweaty in hot weather !
    Good article - when is an hobby an obsession.....

Anyway , the much recommended liquidstretch jobbies are ordered
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    nation wrote:
    Endura Humvee 3/4s are my commuting garb of choice.

Not lightweight tho. I use decathlon running knee length shorts, light, easy wicking super comfy (my humvees havent been out in months) deep enough pockets to be confident keys coins and phones are safe and they look ok for walking in. No liner of any sort & fine over padded lycra shorts or padded underwear. £13 or so.