Bike advice for 17 mile commute with tow path

theslowone
theslowone Posts: 57
edited July 2011 in Commuting general
Hi I am new to this forum and am looking for some advice. Comming up this summer my company is starting a cylce to work scheme and I fancy somthing new and shiny :D
I currently commute 17miles each way 3 days a week on a scott hybrid (slicked 26" wheels) I would like to make the move onto a road bike if poss. My concern is that about 2 miles of my commute is on unmade (though not particulay rough) tow path. My question is. Would an "entry level" road bike ie Spec Allez handle this? or would I be better looking at a cx bike.

Comments

• Drysuitdiver
    Drysuitdiver Posts: 474
    CX bike would be better. the road bike will handle it but will take its toll.

paris Roubaix is cobbled but one of them wheels probably costs more than the roadbike you are looking at ;)
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • theslowone
    Thanks for the info. I thought that would prob be the answer. Would there be any real advantage in a cx bike over my current bike, or should I continue as is and maybe spuce the Scott up a bit (needs new chain rings, cassette, chain etc). Another option is to modify my route to avoid the tow path section, though that would add maybe 3 miles to the distance and the tow path is the nicest bit :cry:
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    A road bike that isn't a race bike would suit- light tourer, audax or something like that. It'd be better on tarmac than your hybrid (and probably better than a CX) but easily able to cope with the towpath you describe.
    A Revolution Country traveller would be more than tough enough and is priced similarly to the Allez- this is probably one extreme to the other, as the Revolution is designed as a proper, but inexpensive, Touring bike and the Specilized as a proper, but inexpensive, race bike... Ideally, I think, you want something in between!

Cheers,
    W.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    The issue with the Spec Allez is the tyre clearance which the reviews say is low clearances so if you wanted to add mudguards and/or slightly wider tyres you going to be a bit stuffed.

given the choice a bike that can take at least 25mm makes a lot of sense.

in terms of durability I'd be cynical you'd get much difference between roadie and CX to be honest.
  • theslowone
    Good point re 25mm tyres I will look for bikes with clearance. I am less concerned about mudguards beacause plan is to continue to use my hybrid on wet days (fully kitted for commuting) but to try to get a bike which I will make commute faster,more comfortable and more fun in the dry. Which I could also use for occasional rides with some more roadie mates at the weekend. Main concern was whether I would wreck my shiny new bike on the tow path. maybe its a case of n+1
    Not sure yet if I will be limited to a single supplier that depends on HR. I am at this stage deciding what type of bike to shop for. Not specific models which will depend on fit and availability etc when the time comes.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Never regretted my Tricross. Handles tow paths well, and has plenty clearance for guards. Is comfortable and fast enough to mix with all sorts of road bikes, yet can also be a long distance tourer.

Have done some ton distances on her and am about to head off for a week and a bit round Scotland.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • robz400
    robz400 Posts: 160
    2 miles on the tow path? Thats nothing.

I rode 11.5 miles along the Basingstoke Canal/River Wey yesterday on my carbon fibre framed road bike on 23mm tyres... only one awkward moment in a slightly deep patch of sand, other than that no issues. Gave it a wipe once I got home and it was fine

The wheels are normal Falcrum 7s and they haven't suffered at all.

I'd go for the bike thats going to be hands down best on the roads and put up with 2 miles on a slightly bumpy path raher than have a heavier less suited bike for the massive proportion of your commute.

:)
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Single speed cross bike.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • theslowone
    robz400
    Thanks I have no doubt that a carbon road bike can do 2 miles of canal towpath. I remember a youtube hit a while ago (stunts on a carbon road bike). However my question is could it do 2 miles of tow path twice a day for the next few years without costing me a fortune in wheels and shop bills?
  • robz400
    robz400 Posts: 160
    In my experience road bikes arent as fragile as some people suggest. I use mine regularly on tow paths as my girlfriend isn't a fan of the roads and to date I've no more issues than would be expected from normal riding.

In my opinion the only issue would be thin tyres on wet muddy towpath but as you've said you'd use the other bike I wrecken stick with a roadie. For the other 15 miles itd be well worth it :-)
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    I've just bought one of theses

http://www.khsbikes.co.uk/bikes/khs-cx-200-cyclocross

And for the money I don't think you could go far wrong it scored very high when it was 849 so at 649 I consider it a steal. I'm going to se mine for commuting / dog walking on the local forestry and a few cx sportives. Steve at KHS is a gent to deal with and gave some very honest advice and didn't brand bash once.

Here is the review if it helps, I'm not sure what's left in stock so give him a ring

http://www.khsbikes.co.uk/wp-content/up ... active.pdf
  • wgwarburton
    Hi,
    If you do opt for a CX bike, it might be worth asking nicely if they'll swap the CX drops out for some normal ones. CX bars are wide with a shallow drop. so they don't give you as good a tuck (or as narrow a position when you're upright) as regular bars do.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
    W.
  • theslowone
    Thanks I defo have some food for thought. I will try to find a cx bike that I can demo back to back with a less racy roadbike. If the difference not to extreme then the cx certainly sounds to me like it may be the answer. I appreciate the comments that road bikes are prob not as fragile as I might think. But unless the difference in ride is massive I think that I would worry about it. (justified or not I would probably not feel comfortable using it and so would likley keep for best which kinda defeates the point of having one imo)
    Thanks again I will prob want more advice once I know more about scheme detail and start shopping :D
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    I've just bought one of theses

http://www.khsbikes.co.uk/bikes/khs-cx-200-cyclocross

And for the money I don't think you could go far wrong it scored very high when it was 849 so at 649 I consider it a steal. I'm going to se mine for commuting / dog walking on the local forestry and a few cx sportives. Steve at KHS is a gent to deal with and gave some very honest advice and didn't brand bash once.

Here is the review if it helps, I'm not sure what's left in stock so give him a ring

http://www.khsbikes.co.uk/wp-content/up ... active.pdf
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Try a Boardman Hybrid. Best of both worlds.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Compromise might be to use std road bike but fit at least 25mm tyres. Some bike will be at their limit at 25mm I think, some might allow 28. That would not lose a lot of speed for your other non-towpath riding but would lessen the impact and puncture risk.
  • wgwarburton
    Hi,
    If your towpaths are anything like the ones I've used I would make sure that the bike you get can accommodate (full) mudguards.
    The grit that gets flung up from puddles will turn to grinding paste; in my experience this will have more of an impact on the drivetrain of your bike than the odd pothole...
    On tarmac the puddles are often pretty clean, so your bike gets sprayed with water. On the grit surface of many towpaths the gunk that gets thrown up is more like water with a suspension of fine sand in it.. better to avoid having it sprayed on your chain...
    It also looks a bit more professional if you turn up at work without mud on your face and a brown strip up your back... but that may not be an issue for you. :-)

Cheers,
    W.
  • mudslinger
    mudslinger Posts: 237
    My 15 miles commute sounds a bit similar to yours in that I can take an off-road section if I want & have an appropriate bike.

I specifically bought a CX (Specialized Tricross) to enable me to do this. My off-road section involves going over the South Downs which can be quite bumpy in places. Due to that I don't use the CX as much for off-road commuting as I had planned as there is one downhill section that is a bit too rough for the CX. Don't get me wrong - the CX is a fantastic bike & handles reasonably smooth off-road stuff extremely well. It is also pretty quick on the road - mine is fitted with 28mm Vittoria Randonneur tyres which are more road orientated. I also recently cycled to Paris with the CX bike & it was fantastic. Our route into Paris took in several forest tracks & it was fine.

The CX bike will be quicker on road than a hybrid & about the same off-road. The Boardman hybrids are great bikes (my wife has one) but I wouldn't really recommend them as they are a bit of a compromise.

I guess it depends on whether you want your commute to be quicker & how you'll be using the bike at weekends. If you get into road cycling then you'll want a proper road bike as they are lighter & faster.

All in all CX bikes are tremendously versatile bikes. Most will take mudguards & panniers unlike a lot of road bikes. Your other option is a steel framed tourer.
    Winter commuter: Planet X London Road
    Winter road bike/commuter: Specialized Langster
    Best road bike: Planet X RTD90
    MTBs: Giant XTC 650B / On-One C456 singlespeed
    TT bike: Planet X Stealth
  • theslowone
    Cycled to work today and actually looked at the surface of the tow path. The main make up is a sort of compacted grit and actualy the surface is fairly smooth if I avoid the worst of the pot holes. Also noticed a guy comming the other way on a drop barred bike (old tourer i think) so maybe I am just being a bit of a noob. :oops: I have ridden mountain bikes for years but untill I started to commute on the hybrid about 2 years ago I had little experience of road riding and my perception was that road bikes were fragile. if I went with the 25mm tyre option would I need new wheels or is clearance the only issue?
  • mudslinger
    mudslinger Posts: 237
    You wouldn't need new wheels for 25mm tyres however clearance may be an issue.
    Winter commuter: Planet X London Road
    Winter road bike/commuter: Specialized Langster
    Best road bike: Planet X RTD90
    MTBs: Giant XTC 650B / On-One C456 singlespeed
    TT bike: Planet X Stealth
  • wgwarburton
    Hi,
    The drop-barred tourer you saw was probably pretty close to the sort of Audax/light-tourer suggested early in the thread.
    If you can avoid a close-clearance race-orientated "road bike" that doesn't have clearance or fittings for mudguards you should be fine. An inexpensive Aluminium frame may not be the most comfortable ride but the vast majority of bikes will be strong enough to cope with the sort of path you describe. Just beware of the potential effect that puddled grit may have on an unprotected drivetrain...

Cheers,
    W.