Sikora Posts: 519
edited July 2011 in MTB general
Came off my bike at Coed y Brenin today and put a dent in my top tube

263810_10150235711584300_565609299_7278003_3493796_n.jpg

Anything to worry about? No signs of any cracks in the paint on the other side

Comments

• leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Might be worth getting it checked by your lbs or someone with experience with damaged frames.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Is that just a split in the pain at the top there then?

Purely going on that pic, I'd say it was new frame time*.

At the very least take it somewhere that does frame repairs and let them look at it.

*this is purely my non-expert opinion
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    edited July 2011
    i'd say its fine. People panic a little I feel when they see a dent. If we said 'its new car time' everytime someone dented their car it would be a chaotic car market wouldn't it :lol:

I know bikes are a little different but I have a rather large dent in my downtube and have had it for the last 10 months. Yes the paint has split but i coated the area in a clear varnish to prevent any rust implications as paint did crack, but the metal underneat didn't crack and any nearby welds were fine also. It has been ridden hard ever since and there have been no other structural differences made to the frame .

I'd say these are the main things to worry about in this case and going on what I can see without a closer look i'd say you will be OK.

Just don't expect to be able to sell the frame on to anybody in future (i'm in the same position)
  • JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    Which section did you crash on?
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)
  • DickBarton
    DickBarton Posts: 201
    top tube section! ;-)
    The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...
  • JonnyN

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    i'd say its fine. People panic a little I feel thwn they see a dent. If we said 'its new car time' everytime someone dented their car it would be a chaotic car market wouldn't it :lol:

I know bikes are a little different but I have a rather large dent in my downtube and have had it for the last 10 months. Yes the paint has split but i coated the area in a clear varnish to prevent any rust implications as paint did crack, but the metal underneat didn't crack and any nearby welds were fine also. It has been ridden hard ever since and there have been no other structural differences made to the frame .

I'd say these are the main things to worry about in this case and going on what I can see without a closer look i'd say you will be OK.

Just don't expect to be able to sell the frame on to anybody in future (i'm in the same position)
    Except dents in cars arent as structurally critical
  • ricardo_smooth
    i'd say its fine. People panic a little I feel thwn they see a dent. If we said 'its new car time' everytime someone dented their car it would be a chaotic car market wouldn't it :lol:

:wink:
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029

Funny, i did read that, but since we're discussing something here that could potentially save the OPs life i think speculation like this isn't the best way of going about it.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    It doesn't look like the dent has creased the edges/bends in the tube, if it was just the flat section I wouldn't worry about it as the stiffness comes mainly from the folds that's why the flat sections bend (this comes from my motorcycle days, 125cc racing there were plenty of TZRs with dented frames that were fine)
    BUT if you are concerned get it checked out.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Sikora
    JonnyN wrote:
    Which section did you crash on?

"Abel" on the MBR.
  • JonnyN
    Love that section... I was there last week.

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what frame? and is that where the seat post gusset joins?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Sikora
    nicklouse wrote:
    what frame? and is that where the seat post gusset joins?

2008 Stumpjumper FSR. The seat post gusset is directly above the dent. No visable cracks at the weld
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I would pick off all the lifted paint as the bit above the dent makes it look worse.

I think it will be OK but I would put some paint on it so that you will be able to see if it is changeing.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ricardo_smooth

Funny, i did read that, but since we're discussing something here that could potentially save the OPs life i think speculation like this isn't the best way of going about it.

Fully aware and gave an explanation as to why i think it's ok. I didn't just make the sweeping statement and not back up why I thought so
  • d00m
    d00m Posts: 160
    I think it'll be fine. Loads of dents in my toptube from shifters/brake levers hitting it...
  • Sikora
    Thanks for the replies. I'm taking it to my nearest Specialized store tomorrow to get it properly checked out
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Oh dear.

customer "hi, I have a tiny dent in my bike, do you think it'll be ok?"
    speccy salesman "nope, but I can sell you a new frame, or better still a new bike. Yep, those cranks look scuffed too, definitely new bike time"

:lol:
  • Sikora
    Oh dear.

customer "hi, I have a tiny dent in my bike, do you think it'll be ok?"
    speccy salesman "nope, but I can sell you a new frame, or better still a new bike. Yep, those cranks look scuffed too, definitely new bike time"

:lol:

I must admit I have the same thinking as you. Who wouldn't try and push the sale of a new bike?
    It was a local biking site that suggested trying my luck with contacting Specialized UK after hearing they had excellent customer service. They want me to drop it off at my local store and get it checked out.