Alternatives?

MattJ88
MattJ88 Posts: 41
edited July 2011 in Commuting general
I was keen on purchasing the Carerra Gryphon after reading some good reviews online.

Bike: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165534

However, I wanted to view the bike before purchasing to check sizing, comfort, etc, etc, but none in stock local. I COULD try ask local store to get one in for me to view but it seems this is end of line stock while they wait for the 2012 model.

At £250 (previously on sale at £208), this bike seemed a steal.

I currently commute 3 miles each way on 10 year old full suspension MTB. It serves it's purpose atm but I am very aware of wasted energy as the rear of the bike bounces around, especially going uphill. And the lack of space for a water bottle carrier puts me off longer rides!

If the Gryphon doesn't come back in stock soon, are there any similar priced alternatives?

I know Decathon sell a BTWIN Tribal 3 for £299.99 but no stores local to me. Halfords have the Carerra TDF and Virtuoso for £299 also but I wanted the flat bars - only alternative through Halfords I see is the Carerra Subway 1 at approx £250 or Subway 2 at £279, stock dependent.

C2W scheme opens tomorrow (MUST use Halfords though) so am currently weighing up options re: buying outright or using scheme.

I would only be using bike to commute (although distance may increase by a mile or two) and the occasional longer weekend ride (although as I'm sure you will all say, I will get the bug and want to cycle more!).

I did look at hardtail MTBs but reckon Hybrid is the way to go.

Will want to add pannier rack to bike to save carrying a rucksack.

Any suggestions welcome but I am a hobbyist, and am not wanting to spend big bucks right now. £200-£300 is where I am looking.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have a Gryphon (well a Gryphon frame forms the basis of my bike) and there are two others local to me, they are a reasonably fast, competant flat barred hybrid, easily as good to ride as some named brand competitors costing a lot more. Mine is an 18" frame and suites me fine (I'm 5'10" with 31" inside leg).

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • MattJ88
    Great .. just the problem of stock levels as we wait for the new 2012 models to arrive - which will no doubt be more expensive!
  • Have a gryphon too.

6 miles each way for my commute - a lot of stop start due to junctions and having to cross to where cycle paths change to the other side of the road - also I have to lump it over a pedestrian footbridge over a duel carriageway.

In my opinion it's an excellent bike for what I use it for.

For what they are new money, I dont think you'll get much better - unless you go second hand - in which case you might find a giant rapid or similar.
  • MattJ88
    Nearest store with stock is 25 miles away and I'd have to pick up. Gutted I missed out when it was £208 and in stock!

What size is yours?
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    For a 3 mile commute I would consider a town bike, perhaps with a beer crate in a front carrier so you could do shopping with it too - because bicycles are not just for shaving seconds of your commute. You can get a nice town bike for 300 pounds easily and you'll get much more value for your money than with a sports bike.
  • MattJ88
    Maybe so, but surely a performance hybrid will better allow for that longer weekend ride. Can fit pannier rack.

I popped to Halfords today to try look at the model - to find it's out of stock completely now - but I did get to have a sneak preview of their new ranges which go on sale tomorrow. The new Gryphon, new Virtuoso and a few other fab looking bikes!

I can get the new Gryphon with disc breaks, better tyres over the old model on the C2W scheme for less than I'd have paid for older v-spec model had I bought it outright. Tempted. Will have another proper look tomorrow when they are all out on display!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I started on the Gryphon for my 14 mile commute to / from Derby and it was fine for the road sections. The problem I had with it was that I had 3.5 miles of bridleway (my favourite part) in there and the bike had problems in the Winter

The mudguard clearance wasn't great and I kept getting lumps of mud and stones stuck in there.

However... I used the bike for rides out of up to 50 miles without a problem and it was only my specific commute requirements that had me change bikes for a CX. It's a great bike for the money and while *I* prefer a drop bar bike to a flat bar - that one is good for the money.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • MattJ88
    Only real alternative I've seen is the Specialized Sirrus @ £350 - presuming Halfords will get one in for me.
  • MattJ88
    These are my two options ...

The Gryphon vs Sirrus ?

Gryphon is 16 speed vs Sirrus 21

Both same weight

Gryphon is disc vs Sirrus v-pad

Any other major differences?
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    MattJ88 wrote:

At £250 (previously on sale at £208), this bike seemed a steal......

a nearly 25% increase in price and you describe it as a steal??????????????????????
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • MattJ88
    Was 250 in sale using online codes, end of range.but that's beside the point now ..., I'm looking at the new model vs the sirrus

I thought 250 was a good price still for old, spec