Wonky Cassette Problems.

teadrinker
teadrinker Posts: 170
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all

Having wonky cassette problems. Running a Mavic crossride with a SLX 10spd cassette and the cassette is spinning wonky and causing miss shifts in the higher cogs. There is a small amount of play in the cassette but it won't tighten up anymore? Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sure it's the cassette and not just bad indexing? Cassettes do wobble a bit.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    I think you need a spacer between the hub flange and largest sprocket with Crossrides. Do you have one ?
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    BG2000 wrote:
    I think you need a spacer between the hub flange and largest sprocket with Crossrides. Do you have one ?

+1 - There should be a small ring of alloy that sits behind the cassette - if you've lost it, heres a link to buy a new one:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25399
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    BG2000 wrote:

+1 - There should be a small ring of alloy that sits behind the cassette - if you've lost it, heres a link to buy a new one:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25399
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    cooldad wrote:
    Sure it's the cassette and not just bad indexing? Cassettes do wobble a bit.

Cassettes don't wobble when the lockring is tightened (unless a spacer is missing).

Any play comes from the freehub, which could be quite a lot if the bearings are very worn. This could affect gear indexing in the lower gears (larger sprockets).
  • teadrinker
    teadrinker Posts: 170
    I do have one on there but just popped it down the bike shop and for some reason I had the wrong size on it. Anyway, all fixed and up and running again and didn't cost me a thing, good work Cycle Surgery.

Thanks to all your responses here too.