Refitting crank problem

mikezer0
mikezer0 Posts: 122
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Help!

I've just had my crank out in order to replace my worn granny ring. Did that easily enough, but I'm struggling to get the crank axle back in far enough for the non drive side arm to be a snug fit. I reckon there's a 3 or 4 mm gap between the end of the crank axle and the outer edge of the arm.

Fsa gravity cranks, shimano bb, I've used all the spacers that were there when I took it apart.

Cheers.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so which cranks? FSA do more than one gravity crank.

pics of the issue?

and it was all ok before?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    have you put the crank bolt in and tightened it up? It just might be that it hasn't pulled together because you haven't tightened it up.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • mikezer0
    photo.jpg

Dunno which crank it is, it doesn't say anywhere on it. I, stupidly, didn't take any notice of what it looked like as I took it apart (lesson learnt).
  • nicklouse
    have toy fitted the right crank through fully?

hit it with a rubber mallet.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • mikezer0
    tried hitting it. lots. no movement.

The problem is that the axle won't move any further.

Do you think it should be further through?
  • nicklouse
    no idea as i cant see the other side.

but if you have only removed the crank and not touched the BB then it is as it was before.
  • mikezer0
    The other side is hard to see:

photo-1.jpg
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    side view photo?

is that is external BB, which is looks like, then there should be hardly any gap between the cank and the BB.

On simano cranks there is a small plate with tiny pin that fit in the gasp in the crank arm - is that in place?

I cannot tell if the splines in the crank have bottomed out or not; you can put in a screwdriver or cold chisel in the gap in the crank to force it open a tiny bit so it can slide over the splines.