Bearing change

GJC
GJC Posts: 198
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi i was wondering how difficult is it to replace the pivot bearingS on a lapierre spicy? will i need to buy any tools to remove and fit new bearings?

Many thanks GJC
Lapierre Spicy 316 2011

Comments

• rhialto
    rhialto Posts: 277
    I am very interested in anyone's experience with this as well. I would also like to replace my pivot bearings - mine seem to have some play in them after 3 years.

I was considering doing it myself with a RRP bearing extractor/press or something homebuilt. The challenges I can see are that the frame surfaces that the press would push against are not very large or perfectly flat due to the hydroformed frame. Also, I'm not sure about clearances and if there's enough space to fit the press cups. And finally, I haven't been able to unscrew the pivot cap where the rear shock connects to the seat stay.

So, sorry, I can't answer your question but thought I would share my thoughts on the process. I may have to take it to my LBS where I purchased the bike. Although whenever I ask them to do some work, they want to keep the bike in their shop for days at a time!