My nicest most terrifying day's cycling

neilo23
neilo23 Posts: 783
edited July 2011 in The bottom bracket
Just come back from a thoroughly enjoyable ride. Every year where I live the local authorities close off approximately 120 km of roads to all motorised traffic, including the dual carriageway which runs through the area. Despite the dull and cold weather it was an absolute pleasure. Went up a lovely hill, about 12 km long, through a forest to the source of the local river and, for the first time in my life, was able to rocket down again without having to worry about any cars coming in the opposite direction. Didn't know how musical my wheels were until today.

The pretty scenery: http://www.ich-geh-wandern.de/files/img ... tein_4.jpg

But, at the risk of sounding like an elitist prat...

What a nightmare! Toddlers on bikes everywhere, inline skaters taking up half the road. Everyone and his dog who sits on a bike for one day a year - plus people riding with dogs on leads beside them. People suddenly stopping in the middle of the road or simply riding on the wrong side of the road or randomly changing sides. Going up the hill I wondered why there were 50 people coming down it as were going up it: they'd laid on coaches to take the folks up (ok, the sensible option for 99% of the population).

The reality: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4136/476 ... 1196c4.jpg

I did try not to be a stick in the mud and was as patient as I could be, but after a while I decided I'd be better off risking my life with the traffic instead of with these clueless "cyclists". I almost crashed about 20 times and narrowly avoided crashing into the same amount of small children. Respect to the organisers. I'm sure most people had a great time, but for anyone who can ride a bike over 20kmh.....

Rant over.

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    How did the guy in the dinghy get on?! :wink:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • neilo23
    ddraver wrote:

Swimmingly :roll:
  • Martincan
    Martincan Posts: 188
    neilo23 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Swimmingly :roll:

I doughnut know how you come up with all these pun like quips.

Taxi
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.....I have a lot of weakness!

My Blog: http://ipluswheels.wordpress.com/
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm not surprised you found it dangerous. Nearly everyone is riding / walking / sailing etc on the wrong side of the road!!!
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I had the same problem a few weeks ago on a 26 mile charity ride with about 800 other people. Lots of small children, great to see them on their bikes.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • neilo23
    I'm not really sure what the purpose of my post was. I think it was a cry for sympathy: I really didn't want to feel like a grumpy old git as most people don't ride around like maniacs and intentionally cycle up the hardest hills they can find as most of us lot do. It did make me feel that way, however.
    Closing off 120 ks of main roads is something to be applauded, not grumbled about, but if these people drove their cars as they rode their bikes there would be a large drop in the local population.
    According to the local paper today the event was a great success with 100,000 people taking part. Well done. And at least 1,000 of those learnt how to swear in English at high speed :)
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    neilo23 wrote:
    Just come back from a thoroughly enjoyable ride. Every year where I live the local authorities close off approximately 120 km of roads to all motorised traffic, including the dual carriageway which runs through the area.

Figured you weren't in the UK, close off the roads here and some nutter chucks tacks on them.

Traffic free is designed for everyone to enjoy so it seems only fair that everyone does and not just bike speed freaks (as they might be seen by the more sedentary of those enjoying closed roads).
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • neilo23
    pedylan wrote:
    neilo23 wrote:
    Just come back from a thoroughly enjoyable ride. Every year where I live the local authorities close off approximately 120 km of roads to all motorised traffic, including the dual carriageway which runs through the area.

Figured you weren't in the UK, close off the roads here and some nutter chucks tacks on them.

That's why I'm all exotic and write things like "120 km" and "kg" n stuff :) .
    I read about that with the tacks on the road. Daft. The folks here saw it as a chance to make a few bob selling drinks and snacks. Killed my business, though.

Traffic free is designed for everyone to enjoy so it seems only fair that everyone does and not just bike speed freaks (as they might be seen by the more sedentary of those enjoying closed roads).

Just outside town it was horrendous. I'm not one for believing that kids should be wrapped in cotton wool, but it did look like a few parents were trying to deliberately get their children hit by bikes.
    I must admit, though, it was quite a strange and enjoyable experience being able to ride on the wrong side of the road, against traffic, on what's practically a motorway.
  • We get the same in London every year. About the same number of cyclists as well. Only difference is that they are crammed into about 8km of road !!

Come over on the 4th September and see what fun it is(n't)
  • neilo23
    We get the same in London every year. About the same number of cyclists as well. Only difference is that they are crammed into about 8km of road !!

You reckon you could smuggle me in so that my mum doesn't find out I'm over without coming to visit :wink: ?
  • neilo23
    neilo23 wrote:
    We get the same in London every year. About the same number of cyclists as well. Only difference is that they are crammed into about 8km of road !!

You reckon you could smuggle me in so that my mum doesn't find out I'm over without coming to visit :wink: ?

By the way, where do they do that then? I'm from London but they didn't do things like that when I still lived there.
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    neilo23 wrote:
    I'm not really sure what the purpose of my post was. I think it was a cry for sympathy: I really didn't want to feel like a grumpy old git as most people don't ride around like maniacs and intentionally cycle up the hardest hills they can find as most of us lot do. It did make me feel that way, however.
    Closing off 120 ks of main roads is something to be applauded, not grumbled about, but if these people drove their cars as they rode their bikes there would be a large drop in the local population.
    According to the local paper today the event was a great success with 100,000 people taking part. Well done. And at least 1,000 of those learnt how to swear in English at high speed :)

You can have some sympathy from me. But you're still a grumpy old git.

Welcome to the club.

-Spider-
  • neilo23 wrote:
    neilo23 wrote:

By the way, where do they do that then? I'm from London but they didn't do things like that when I still lived there.

http://www.goskyride.com/SkyRideCity