Adjusting cable disc brakes - newbie Q

zebedoo
zebedoo Posts: 19
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

Can anyone please point me in the direction of a decent online resource where I can learn about setting up and adjusting cable disc brakes (and other stuff probably).

I am trying to adjust my girlfriend's brakes as the disc is rubbing on the pads. I have adjusted the position of the calipers and have backed off the pad - this has stopped the rubbing, but now the brake lever needs pulling quite far back before the braked engage. If I then adjust the barrel adjusters on the lever and the caliper end, it reduces the travel in the lever, but the pads start rubbing on the disc again?

They're 'Tektro' brakes on a Carerra Vulavan, for what it's worth.

Many thanks,

Si

Comments

• unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I had Tektro IOs on my last bike. When properly adjusted they work well but keeping them adjusted was a huge pain if you do a lot of miles.

If the pads are worn you may find it easier to back off the adjuster barrel all the way and pre-load the big lever on the brake before tightening the brake cable.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    I assume you got this from Halfords, if so, just ask one of the cycle technicians in the shop.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Expect a little pad rub, the static side cannot be adjusted, so centre the calliper by loosening the mounting bolts, pulling the lever and re-tightening while holding the lever, then adjust the moving calliper.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • unixnerd
    the static side cannot be adjusted

Usually there's a bolt on the static side that can move the pad in and out.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Indeed, but last time we looked at the IO tech doc follwoing the same Q, they did not!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • unixnerd
    Maybe they've changed the design of the IOs. Mine were 2007s (I think) and they had a 5mm allen bolt on the static side to adjust the pad.