Rochdale canal commute

msmancunia
msmancunia Posts: 1,415
edited July 2011 in Commuting general
I've just moved back to Manchester after seven years in London and I wondered if anyone had cycled down the Rochdale Canal into Manchester. I'll be working at Salford Quays and it looks like I could possibly get a traffice free commute to work. From what I can see, I can get on where I live, (Chadderton) and it will take me all the way into Ancoats (although I think I'll have to lug the bike across the footbridge over the M60 at one point).

1) has anyone ever done it? and if so, 2) is it safe - any hoodies/yobs/undesirables knocking about?

Thanks for any info - Caroline
Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity

Comments

• AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Doesn't cycle ROUTE 66 run from Chadderton ( or close by) into Manchester ?

I would avoid canal routes if you're unaccompanied.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    I'd been mulling that one over too after not really twigging on it was quite so close at both ends, Oldham to Clayton. From google maps it looks bitty in places, seems to stop in Failsworth for a bit at the big tesco carpark and runs down the back of a few industrial units which could be a bit of a blindspot for wrong uns to take advantage of. I think you'd probably end up back on the road by the central retail park in Ancoats, there a bridge there that looks quite unfriendly for bikes /anyone but the canal does pop out the other side and feeds into the big basin close to Piccadilly station which wouldn't be too bad a run to the quays. Easy enough to avoid the city centre by heading to the University area and thru Hulme - nowhere near what you might remember it as being now, its been bulldozed and done up. Getting to the quays from there is a bit busy tho either Regent Rd or Trafford & across at White City
  • GAndy
    GAndy Posts: 3
    I've only cycled through the city centre once on the canal but it is possible to get through the city centre avoiding most of the roads. Coming down the Rochdale canal the route from New Union Street to Dale Street is being worked upon but you can get through, though it is awkward. From Dale Street there is a short section of towpath 'underground' (there were drug dealers on this section when I passed one Saturday afternoon but they kept themselves to themselves), then you run along Canal Street before rejoining the towpath. From there you can cycle all the way through the basin at Castlefield and onto the Bridgwater coming out somewhere around Pamona/Man Utd depending on where in Salford Quays you need.

Andy
  • msmancunia
    Thanks all for tips - picking bike up from its service on Saturday so might do a test ride on Sunday morning. If there are dealers round near the underground bit I might peel off before then, but, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Cx
  • msmancunia
    Just an update on the canal route - tried it today.

You can certainly cycle all the way from Mills Hill to Ancoats retail park. The only slightly tricky bit is where the path goes over the M60 - that in itself isn't too bad as you can ride all the way over because it's quite a shallow gradient, but the way back to the canal on the other side isn't particularly clear and I did have to wander about a bit. The path does get very narrow sometimes too - not easy when you're wobbling about under a bridge over cobbles.

On a hybrid it's not easy though - and I wouldn't want to try it on a snazzy road bike that I was thinking of getting. Cobbles near the lock gates, and there are a lot of lock gates - I'm feeling rather tender and I had padded leggings and a gel saddle.

Weirdos - two, which doesn't sound too many given that it passes through a couple of less classy bits of town, but it was 9am on a Sunday morning. One was a Polish guy asleep upside down on some banking who I thought was dead (and had to ask him if he was ok) and a junkie underneath one of the bridges who, although stoned, still had enough clarity to verbally appraise my boobs. From Ancoats I went down to Deansgate, past Granada and then down Ordsall Lane - easy enough. Might try the road all the way though - depends which one between Rochale Road or Manchester Old Road are less hilly!
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Manchester old road/Middleton Road/Leicester Road - Great Cheetham St (east and west) - Great Clowes St -Oldfield Road - Ordsall Lane might be a bit more direct of the 2
    The bit of Middleton Road from the M60 roundabout past Victoria Avenue to the Sheepfoot Lane lights turn off can be a bit interesting with lots of cars funnelling and having a last burst of speed before the buildings start again, but its only a short stretch and I've never actually been hit.

but if you choose Rochdale Road, you could consider going right at Queens Road to take you past Manchester Fort retail park and follow it across, it eventually becomes Great Cheetham Street east and Leicester Road (as above) feeds into it. - not the most salubrious of areas if you're riding after dark tho.

another through town alternative; although it sounds like the wrong side of Chadderton for you; is Broadway and Oldham Road. bigger roads, generally less residential, less likely to get comments on your attributes.

(media city?)
  • msmancunia
    Thanks - I had thought about the Broadway/Oldham Rd route too; I'm just at the back of Chadderton Park so the end of Broadway is only ten mins up the road. After four years off the bike though I'm feeling rather fragile this morning (those cobbles...), so opted for the train! Think I'll go out for a couple of nights this week and then maybe try Broadway/Oldham Rd down and Cheetham Hill back at the weekend.

And yes, I'm at Media City - one of the BBC northern diaspora coming home.

C
  • Peter88
    Peter88 Posts: 50
    Hi msmancunia I use the Rochdalecanal quite a lot going from Failsworth Tesco to either Rochdale or into Manchester.

Thew only bit i have problems with is the stretch from the Boat and Horses on Broadway and over the motorway bridge because there is usually a bit of glass on the path.
  • Caroline Getting to Salford Quays via canal towpaths is possible although the last mile or two ison the road taking you past Old Trafford.I and a mate did this route the other day,the under gound section in the city centre is aplace l would not recommend, it stinks of piss and is used by undesireables.Broadway and Oldham road are very busy main roads for cyclist.