CO2 Pumps and tubeless setups - worthwhile?

cat_with_no_tail
cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
edited July 2011 in MTB general
Never used these before, but after going tubeless a few months back, and finding that my current masterblaster is useless for trailside repairs I'm considering getting one.

Before I do though, I just want to confirm that 16g cartridges do a decent job of sealing tyres to the rim.

Particularly looking for anyone with experience of using non-ust tyres on stans rims with Co2 Pumps.

Not looking for advice on which one to get, just wondering if they are worth it overall.

Comments

• Frodo1095
    Frodo1095 Posts: 252
    I run tubeless and have a CO2 pump.
    A 16g cartridge should be big enough for a 2.1 tire, may need next size up if using a bigger tire.

Fortunately I have never had to use it, just went off advice from LBS.

The only down side I have heard is that the CO2 reacts with the sealant so when you get home you need to get rid of the CO2 and replace with air.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    Oh really?

I was not aware of that, cheers!

I run 2.3s on quite a wide rim (Stans Flow). I'm not too worried about the cartridge completely inflating the tyre though. So long as it seals it to the rim I can finish it off manually (oo-err missus).
  • turbo1397
    turbo1397 Posts: 39
    been having the same dilemma as above.. been out on rides and getting a flat of sorts and never really been able to get enough air in with a manual pump.. i run 2.4's( bike came with them fitted) too big in my opinion. think i'll prob need the 25g cartridge.. Didnt know about the c02 reacting with the sealant, thats useful info. :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Carry a tube. Simple.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cooldad wrote:
    Carry a tube. Simple.

I already do.

The other day for example, I got a hole in my tyre, so stopped and switched over to the tube. Got another 200m down the trail and got a big tear in the tube and the tyre. Tyre was fixed with a boot, but the tube was screwed. Couldn't get the tyre to seat properly so ended up pushing for like 5km until I came across a group of riders who thankfully donated another tube.

Yes, I could carry 2 tubes, or 3, or tow round a trailer full of them. But as I'm already running tubeless I'd like to know if Co2 is a viable option for trailside repairs without having to bother.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I think the trailer is an idea, could also carry other essentials like pies.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Xgreygoose
    Xgreygoose Posts: 371
    Hey CWNT,here is a chart for you to see.
    http://www.genuineinnovations.com/image ... 0Chart.jpg

I get about 30psi on 2.1 tyre. with 16grams cartridge

Been through afew co2 pump and triggers so IMO don't go for the one's that let you put CO2 slower(trigger ones). They normally freeze up or some time the release value jams up then you don't know if there's any C02 left. You should either go for simple ones that release C02 straight away when you twist the cap. Like these
    twin-drive-co2_1.jpggimfn1-1.jpg

Or even better the one's that let you put C02 through the pump hose (hose is make of steel braided hose ) then it lets you put the air pump back on to top the tyre. Very handy. I'm using this one.
    1287681083-74239200.jpg
    Vodka anyone? "Honk"

Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Cannondale Hooligan 9
    Cannondale Flash Ultimate 2010
    Cannondale Scalpel Factory Team 2010
    Cannondale Scalpel Factory Team 2009
  • Frodo1095
    Frodo1095 Posts: 252
    I have the lezyne pump with the braided CO2 hose as well, lovely smooth action when pumping :D .
    Havent had to use the CO2 yet.
  • CraziScot
    CraziScot Posts: 66
    I run tubeless, things I've learned are:

Don't bother with a tube instead carry an external tubeless repair kit, you don't need to un-seat the tyre to repair it.

Two 16g CO2 cartridges with seat and fully inflate a 2.3 tyre trailside, the first one gets it most of the way then the second pops it well onto the rim. I carry four cartridges just encase.

I've never found an issue with using CO2 and sealant, although there is some information that it can react with certain sealants. I used to always use CO2 to inflate and seat tyres, the sealant was always still liquid when it can to seasonal tyre change time.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    Now you see, I had one of those external repair kits, the strips that look like dog-logs?

I found that were properly rubbish for anything that was any bigger than sealant can already handle. That's actually my main reason for wanting a Co2 inflator. I'd much rather quickly whip the tyre off the rim on 1 side, stick a patch down, then inflate.

As it happens, I went for the Lezyne pump in the end.