SLX chainset and BB. Chain catching on large ring

Bazeyuk
Bazeyuk Posts: 9
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a project bike based on an old Claud Butler frame. I had an SLX chainset and bottom bracket installed some time ago bit it has never been right. When you are on the middle ring of the chainset and the smaller cogs on the rear mech the chain catches on the large chainring of the chainset. I belive this could be something to do with the number of spacers used on the chainset side of the BB.

Any advice most welcome please.

P.S. My first post.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so, how many spacers have been fitted?

and where are they? what is the BB width?

have a read of the installation instructions downloadable from Shimanos webby or see Parktools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Bazeyuk
    Bazeyuk Posts: 9
    Two spacers on the chanset side and one on the crank arm side. Frame is an old CB Cape Wrath Dual disk. Not sure about the BB width.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds correct for a 68mm BB. if it was on a 73mm BB then the chainline would be too wide and things would not catch.

there is a chance that the frame is bent or just not suitable but TBH just dont use those gears.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown