Is it worth waiting for the new model?

mrtuk
mrtuk Posts: 75
edited July 2011 in Commuting general
I'm currently looking at the giant escape 0, but see they now have a new rx 0 out soon. I can get the older model for 100 quid off rrp (so 895), but the new model is rrp 950 anyway.

There are quite a lot of diffs, but i'm not sure if they are worth the 50 quid extra (and potential wait as rx models not due in stock for almost 2 months.) Main diffs that I think are worth considering are:

1. Wheels. Old model = shimano t565 wheelset; New model = giant P-R2 alluminium + sapim race spokes.
2. derailleurs. Old = Front-Deore; rear-LX; New = Front-R773; Rear-105

I have no idea what the differences are in the various shimano components by number, but from what i've read it sems the 105 components of the newer model would be a significant upgrade from the LX components, so probably worth paying 50 quid extra and waiting for the new model, but wanted to get some views.

Comments

• andrewlwood
    andrewlwood Posts: 224
    It's quite hard to compare those components, as Deore is their mountain biking range, and 105 is road. Without spending ages looking at spec sheets, I would say that the Deore stuff will be heavier but tougher, and 105 is lighter but more fragile, based on what they were designed for. They occupy similar mid-range positions in the two lineups (about 3 positions from the most expensive/lightest ranges.

No real opinions on the wheels, and the t565 is discontinued, but I would say that a pair of Shimano R500 wheels (standard spec on bikes at this price point) are only about £50, so I don't think it's worth paying £50 more just on the strength of wheels, even if they are higher quality.

In my experience, new bikes tend to DROP in terms of quality (e.g. in 2009 my bike came with Tiagra throughout, in 2010 it had tiagra/sora mix; to combat rising component prices, manufacturers do things like swap cheaper Gossamer cranks in for 105 etc).

Also depends on what you're riding now; if you don't have a bike, I wouldn't want to wait!
  • mrtuk
    mrtuk Posts: 75
    It's quite hard to compare those components, as Deore is their mountain biking range, and 105 is road.
    That would make some sense - it looks like they are changing the target market for this model. I think they'd classify it as a hybrid (not a term i particularly like), but seems like they're moving it to be more road oriented than mtb - for example the tyres are also changed from 35 to 28.
    I would say that the Deore stuff will be heavier but tougher, and 105 is lighter but more fragile, based on what they were designed for.

Hmm ... that's interesting also ... I'm after something that's going to be hard wearing, so perhaps the mtb setup will be better. I'd assumed higher up the range = lighter and also more durable - at least that's what i mostly hear from the guys in the shops. (Although not unanimous - some say higher spec components will be lighter, but may wear out quicker ... difficult to know what to believe sometimes !!)
    Also depends on what you're riding now; if you don't have a bike, I wouldn't want to wait!

I have an old bike, but it's well overdue for a service, that would add to my costs if i wait ... also itching to get on something new and shiny :-)
  • andrewlwood
    andrewlwood Posts: 224
    I was in exactly the same position as you a few months ago, and just went for it. My bike has 105 throughout, which is perfectly solid enough for road riding; the deore stuff is proper mountainbiking kit, so my assumption would be a bit more rock and root-proof. The road stuff certainly isn't made of glass though.

Throwing in the new narrower wheels as well, it kind of looks like your decision should be based on what kind of riding you're planning on doing - more road, I'd go for the newer model, but any kind of off-roading the older bike might be better?