Which is better to do,

Time.to.ride
Time.to.ride Posts: 463
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Repair juicy 3 system or buy a complete new brake?????

My master cylinder is shot in my front brake and i either need to buy a rebuild kit, or consider a new brake i hate hydraulic brakes i cannot fix them to save my life and despite all the bike techies i know who say its easy, i just dont get it. So i am considering buying a set of mechanical brakes instead as the cable actuated system i can deal with lol lol lol

Any advice is good!

Comments

• leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    edited July 2011
    TBH, a good hydraulic system will require less maintenance and give higher performance than a mechanical system-otherwise everyone would still be using mechanical disks. Consider getting something like a shimano deore 595 brakeset as they are very reliable.
  • Time.to.ride
    How much ??

PS: i thought Hyros were more maintainance not less then mechs??
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Hydros are less maintenance, but when it needs doing, is harder.
  • Time.to.ride
    Is it true that they are actually quite easy to bleed supersonic? this is all that is detering me from keeping them as i cannot get my head round it lol
  • supersonic
    Depends on the brake, many are easier than others. But if you follow the instructions with the right kit, all are doable at home.

Many riders still use cables for overall simplicity.
  • Time.to.ride
    i got avid bleed kit but laast time i tried on old juicy 5s i screwed it up so its put me off abit hence i was looking at mech ones instead ? i just dont know if i send it to LBS they charge a sodding bomb !
  • supersonic
    New Shimano ones are a doddle. You can pick a pair of Deore M595 from Merlin for £120, and these won the WMB brake test.

Cables are cheap enough though.
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    supersonic wrote:
    New Shimano ones are a doddle. You can pick a pair of Deore M595 from Merlin for £120, and these won the WMB brake test.

Cables are cheap enough though.

Or a full set of Tektro V-brakes on eBay for about £16
  • supersonic
    Better hope he has canti rims and mounts then ;-)
  • AndyOgy
    I have no idea how to do the smiley faces. But my tongue was firmly in my cheek when I made that comment.
  • Time.to.ride
    i dont have v brake mounts lol lol :) so i either fix the brake or buy one
  • AndyOgy
    On a serious note, Shimano hydros are much easier to bleed than Avids. And the Shimano hydros hardly ever seem to need bleeding. I've got a set that hasn't been bled since early 2008, when they were fitted.

Avids can be quite problematic, particularly if you're not confident with bleeding etc. They also seem to be a bit more susceptible to stuck pistons and leaky reservoirs. But when they work, they're pretty good.
  • Time.to.ride
    So Andy you think that i should go for a set of shimano ones then? I was thinking of getting a pair of Deore ones, why is it that they dont need bleeding so much then? How many times have you bled yours since purchased?

If it means keeping the hydro power and having an easier time bleeding then im all for that! lol

Is it simply a case of taking the avids off and replacing them with the Deore ones or do i need to do any adjusting ie: shortning the cables etc....
  • Time.to.ride
    obviously it is cheaper to fix the front brake with a rebuild kit, new lever and of course the labour lol but i think i may need the easier option
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    In fitting the new brakes, you may need to shorten the hoses, but that only usually requires some wire/cable cutters and an olive to go in the hose end. If you are careful, you wont loose any fluid either. If you do, they are very simple to bleed and use much less corrosive mineral oil rather than the dot fluid that avids use.