Prescription Cycling / sports glasses

richVSrich
richVSrich Posts: 527
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
Anyone got any suggestions for prescription cycling glasses??

Ideally on the cheap side...quite like reflective coatings :)

Comments

• greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Rudy Projects. Some models take a prescription insert. Fairly easy to pick up the sunnies on eBay. Then send your Rx to someone online who will make up the insert.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Cheap prescription glasses? Yes please, but can't say I've really seen any: decent lenses cost a lot, especially if you want coatings or anything out of the ordinary.

I've got prescription Oakly Jawbones with hydrophobic transition lenses (very useful in winter when you are cycling through dawn / dusk).
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I got a decent pair free from Vision Express - not branded but just as good - rubber inserts, curvedl lightweight lenses etc and best of all FREE with my normal prescription glasses - don't know if the offer is still running
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Is yours a simple prescription, less than +/-4 prism? If so you can get direct glazed lenses, if not you'll need to go for inserts.

I got Salice 826's

826rw-white-blue.jpg

My prescription is borderline for direct glaze, plus I didnt like the edge distortion with curved lenses so went for ones with inserts. I looked at Oakley and Rudy but these were a lot cheaper direct from my own optician... and he got a pair in on sale or return so i could try them out...

I got the black frames with smoke/orange/clear lens sets... the inserts are bigger than Oakleys, similar to the Rudy ones, tho Rudy have wire frames rather than plastic. But it meant I can have bifocal lenses so i can see my bike computer/map/etc properly without having to remove them...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Specsavers , got a pair 2yrs ago, frame + 3 set of lenses.

They have an insert that you can change as your prescription does.

They are a bargain at £75.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    I've ordered a pair of Jawbones from the use, im -8 and -7 so its taking AGES, but if all goes well, they will cost me the same as a normal set (Plus import tax, as you ALWAYS get hit from the USA) of Jawboes

I've been assured i'll have them for Thursday, once I do, I will let you know if its worth it and where I got 'em from

Gaz
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    gb155 wrote:
    I've ordered a pair of Jawbones from the use, im -8 and -7 so its taking AGES, but if all goes well, they will cost me the same as a normal set (Plus import tax, as you ALWAYS get hit from the USA) of Jawboes

I've been assured i'll have them for Thursday, once I do, I will let you know if its worth it and where I got 'em from

Gaz

Eh? You found somewhere that does directly-glazed lenses at that prescription? (I think the Jawbones are direct-glazed only, right?)
    Do let us know -- especially about optical distortion at angles other than straight ahead.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    Chain Reactions have 720 Armour glasses with a lens pack for around £60... eg: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=52790

just emailed them to ask what the lens set is..

rx inserts cost around £40? will enquire in specsavers!

cheers guys

the oakleys are probably out of my price range gaz :P
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    davis wrote:
    gb155 wrote:

Gaz

Eh? You found somewhere that does directly-glazed lenses at that prescription? (I think the Jawbones are direct-glazed only, right?)
    Do let us know -- especially about optical distortion at angles other than straight ahead.

Yp

The firm I found do replacement lenses , as they are in the US too, I got them to supply (Genuine Oakleys) too, much cheaper that way.

Its been about 40 days since ordering , either way, good or bad, i will let you know.
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Optilabs.

define 'cheap' when it comes to good vision?
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • choirboy
    choirboy Posts: 132
    Optilabs.

define 'cheap' when it comes to good vision?

+1 Have 2 pairs - one photochromic for cycling and a pair of mirrored polarised lenses for skiing+watersports