Mountain bike dilema! advice appreciated

flyer
flyer Posts: 608
edited July 2011 in MTB beginners
I have been using a Road bike for about 5 years but have never really enjoyed the geometry. It was a Roubiax so pretty much the most relaxed road bike available. I feel much more comfortable and in control with a flat bar.

I had an accident last year and injured my back so sold the Roubiax. Now back to full health I wanted a bike that would do a bit of off road (disused railway lines etc) but also be able to use on the road about 70% of the time.

My local bike shop recommended the Scott Scale 20, so I bought it and put some Continental Travel Contact semi slicks on.

I anticipate the odd off road and about 3 twenty milers per week on road.

The main reason the LBS recommended the Scott was its very light (20Ib) and you can lock the forks.

My dilemma now is a friend said this bike is NOT for what I am using it for!!!!

It’s off the road high performance trial bike and that’s where it belongs; now he’s a downhill suicide biker!!!

But does he have a point?

My LBS said he will take the bike back but his choice is very limited to another Road bike or similar mountain bikes, I hate hybrids! Boring!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any advice appreciated

Flyer

Comments

• Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    I'd say forget what your mate says. If you're happy with it then stick with it!
  • jon87uk
    jon87uk Posts: 158
    What kind of off road riding are you going to be doing?

If you want maximum efficiency on road then a mountain bike will always have draw backs but if you want to tackle some more challenging off road sections then the Scale will be one hell of a bike.

Personally I think it should be a very good bike for what you've said. However if your off road sections are just tow paths and similar it might be a bit too much of an off road bike and you might be slightly better off with a cyclocross bike. But the Scott will be much more forgiving and if you like the geometry then I would stick with it.
    Current - Cotic BFe - Pike RC - XT - Hope Arch EX
    Previous - 09 Marin Wolfridge 6.7 - 03 Kona Roast
  • Dan_xz
    Dan_xz Posts: 130
    Unfortunately there's a lot of pigeon holing in mountain biking these days and some people get a bit too highly stung about it. Can't get away from that pack mentality!

A lot of so called hardcore bikers hate to see someone with a good bike and not using it to it's potential. It's usually down to jealousy - especially if the bike is more expensive than their own and the rider less fit/skilled than them.

Don't let someone else tell you what you can and can't do with your own property. The truth is that probably 90% of all bikes (road or mountain) are capable of more than they are actually used for. It's your money and if you like the bike and are happy with how it performs for your riding then keep it.
  • DrNowt
    DrNowt Posts: 40
    i agree with what Dan_xz said!

just make sure you have the right tyres for the riding you're doing and stuff what anyone else says.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    The scott scale seems great for what you are using it for as it is IMO light enough for general road use but will also be great if you ever decide to do some trail/more hardcore offroad riding.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    If it works for you, then it ain't wrong.

Does it work for you?
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • ljs1977
    ljs1977 Posts: 247
    Dan_xz wrote:
    Unfortunately there's a lot of pigeon holing in mountain biking these days and some people get a bit too highly stung about it. Can't get away from that pack mentality!

A lot of so called hardcore bikers hate to see someone with a good bike and not using it to it's potential. It's usually down to jealousy - especially if the bike is more expensive than their own and the rider less fit/skilled than them.

Don't let someone else tell you what you can and can't do with your own property. The truth is that probably 90% of all bikes (road or mountain) are capable of more than they are actually used for. It's your money and if you like the bike and are happy with how it performs for your riding then keep it.

This
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    ljs1977 wrote:
    Dan_xz wrote:

This

I agree with the point, but I don;t think that's what's happening here. If the vast majority of miles are on road, then why get a mountain bike?

Obviously the Scale won't break if you ride it on the road, but it'll be slow and less fun than a road bike, even if it is a relatively quick MTB.

If the off roading is going to be mild then think about a cyclocross, if off-road=towpath then get a road bike, it'll be fine. And if you're doing proper off road as well as a decent number of on road miles then.....well, there's a reason you always need one more bike :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    +potato to all of that.

I go for canal Jaunts with the Mrs on a 30lb + full susser or a sub 25lb xc bike, I can also get both bikes around trails. I remember a story about Christie O'Connor the golfer being scoffed at by a pro am partner that he used a 5 iron to put to a par 3, whilst the amateur used a 7 iron. At this O'connor hit the ball on or near the green with every club in his bag, including putter. The point of that story is, they were all golf clubs, they were all capable of doing the same job, just some more efficiently than others.

If the bike you are using is fulfilling your needs then its fine, if your instinct tells you you are a roadie, then go for a road bike.

Personally i don't feel comfortable on road bikes though so I'd jump at a sub 20lb hardtail for the purpose you have it for
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    My Zaskar LE when built with rigids is about 20lbs. It is quick on the road, but I can always nip off road for some fun. Much prefer it to a road bike or cyclocross bike.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Obviously the Scale won't break if you ride it on the road, but it'll be slow and less fun than a road bike, even if it is a relatively quick MTB.

But a road bike will be very limited, and even a 'cross bike won't be a patch on a Scale off road.

Scale seems perfect to me, carry on!
  • bails87
    njee20 wrote:

But a road bike will be very limited, and even a 'cross bike won't be a patch on a Scale off road.

Scale seems perfect to me, carry on!

But a cross bike, or even a road bike would cope with
    OP wrote:
    disused railway lines
    unless they've still got the sleepers.....

If the OP's done his 20 mile road rides on it and he's happy with it, then fine, stick with it.
    MTB/CX

• paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    flyer wrote:
    My dilemma now is a friend said this bike is NOT for what I am using it for!!!!
    Tell him to stick it up his @rse... :)
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • bails87 wrote:
    ljs1977 wrote:
    Dan_xz wrote:

This

I agree with the point, but I don;t think that's what's happening here. If the vast majority of miles are on road, then why get a mountain bike?

If the off roading is going to be mild then think about a cyclocross, if off-road=towpath then get a road bike, it'll be fine. And if you're doing proper off road as well as a decent number of on road miles then.....well, there's a reason you always need one more bike :wink:

Some people prefer mountain bike geometry.

I'd rather a light mtb with semi slicks over a hybrid and definately over a road bike.

My Boardman may turn into my commuter.... do I have the wrong bike then? I don't think so personally.
  • bails87
    Just realised I missed the line about not liking the Geo of a road bike. In that case stick with the scale. :lol:
    MTB/CX