How to keep position in pack?

Zachariah
Zachariah Posts: 782
edited July 2011 in Amateur race
If it's anything like the crits I've been doing, all riders naturally up the pace as the final lap approaches, then go as fast as they can on the bell lap - while strategically holding something back for the sprint.

You've got to anticipate this rise in pace and go with it - everyone and their dog wants to be at the front for the last couple of laps, because that's where the points go.

What's worked for me so far was looking over past results - and using my eyes! - to see who'd been making the top ten in previous races, and shadow them.

Caveat: I'm in my first year too, so this isn't the voice of experience speaking. I've got a few points though, despite not having world-beating fitness levels or a super-expensive bike. I'll be interested to see what any successful racers with a few years under their belt have to say on the matter.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Practise your accelerations out of corners. Crits will surge so you have stay with the pack, whilst not getting hemmed in on the kerb side. Watch for riders moving up on the outside of the pack, you will find that you think you may be mid-bunch but you are actually getting pushed further back by riders doing this.
    Lots of intervals and speed work as you need acceleration and strength in crits. Also try and keep a wheel, no gapping because someone will move in the gap you leave and find yourself shunted again.
    Hope this helps. :)
  • tjhooker
    tjhooker Posts: 12
    I would say that there is no "keeping your position" in the pack. All the time you are either moving forwards or backwards relative to everyone else. Try to hitch on to the back of another rider making his way up the side of the group, to get yourself back to the front. But sometimes you are just going to have to put your nose in the wind and do it yourself!
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    Practice makes perfect! It's taken me several years of racing to get the hang of riding efficiently without going backwards. You'll always drift backwards when sat in the, but if you try to stay out front you'll just waste all your energy. The key is to sit in, but be aware of moves going up the sides so you can slip in behind someone and get dragged back to somewhere near the front. In the last few laps, you've just got to bite the bullet and move up, even if it means making some effort yourself. Sometimes it's just not possible if the group is dense, the track is narrow etc. in which case you need to anticipate this and move up earlier.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Gotta keep actively moving forward and be ready for all the guys sat at the back all race trying to push their way to the front on the last lap.
    More problems but still living....
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Sounds like you did pretty well for your first crit.

If you're anything like me you won't have a clue about pack dynamics until you've done 5-6 crits, then you'll start to pick up on how the bunch ebbs and flows and start to be able to slot into place in a group that is moving up.

In the mean time, keep racing, try to learn something new every time and see what happens when the surges go on the last lap the first time you think you're in a good position. I guarentee you'll lose places then...