How is Sky TV so fast ?

Lazarus
Lazarus Posts: 1,426
edited July 2011 in The bottom bracket
As we all know the TDF is about to begin so i thought I'd splash out, open the wallet and spend a pound to have Eurosport :D

Phoned them up and they said no problem , and lo and behold Eurosport was on .

So just how do they do it :?: phone line is not connected and tbh i was expecting it to take a few hours to come on not 5 seconds :shock:

Can someone explain ?
A punctured bicycle
On a hillside desolate
Will nature make a man of me yet ?

Comments

• Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    MAGIC!
  • chiark
    chiark Posts: 335
    Sufficiently advanced technology!

(subscription updates must be included in the fairly humungous stream of data they're beaming down to all of our dishes - it's not like they're short on the bandwidth!)
    Synapse Alloy 105 / Rock Lobster Tig Team Sl
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    Same with me, I upgraded a few months ago and they manged to switch it on while I was still on the phone to them. :shock:
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    TBH I thought I would have to connect the box to the phone line so they could identify my box from the many others out there !

So was really shocked that they could single out my box from the rest without it being connected via a land line.
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • lucasf09
    lucasf09 Posts: 160
    Just one thing to say first, Sky aren't that magic, anyone that has a decent infrastructure (ie: Sky and Virgin in this country, BT still run on copper wires :s)
    Secondly you are receiving ALL their channels ALL the time, the box is just told what channels to allow through. This is much easier (you give the box the info once and then forget, until customer updates), than controlling what is going where 24/7.
    Hence all they do is send the box a new channel list if you will, and the box just lets one more channel though.
    If you notice you can type in the channel number of channels you aren't subscribe to, all you get is a "you are not subscribed to this channel" message, if Sky where where only sending you the channels you are subscribed to the box wouldn't know the other channels exist.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    lucasf09 wrote:
    Just one thing to say first, Sky aren't that magic, anyone that has a decent infrastructure (ie: Sky and Virgin in this country, BT still run on copper wires :s)
    Secondly you are receiving ALL their channels ALL the time, the box is just told what channels to allow through. This is much easier (you give the box the info once and then forget, until customer updates), than controlling what is going where 24/7.
    Hence all they do is send the box a new channel list if you will, and the box just lets one more channel though.
    If you notice you can type in the channel number of channels you aren't subscribe to, all you get is a "you are not subscribed to this channel" message, if Sky where where only sending you the channels you are subscribed to the box wouldn't know the other channels exist.

More likely to be magic IMO
  • corona
    corona Posts: 116
    Tis witchcraft
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Seem to remember the old analogue system was just as quick.

Somehow they can tell the decoder what to decode based on your card.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Nah, the actual way it is done is this, see in every sky box, there is a smart hamster, this is listening to everything you say, so when you're on the phone to sky, they take your monies, and the smart hamster presses a button or something to turn that channel on.

In fact on some sky boxes, if you put your ear close enough, you'll hear the hamster on it's running machine.

Simples!
  • jellybellywmb
    jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
    Why spend a quid when its on ITV4 ??
    "BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257

Does ITV 4 have TdF on for 6 hours?
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    freehub wrote:
    Nah, the actual way it is done is this, see in every sky box, there is a smart hamster, this is listening to everything you say, so when you're on the phone to sky, they take your monies, and the smart hamster presses a button or something to turn that channel on.

In fact on some sky boxes, if you put your ear close enough, you'll hear the hamster on it's running machine.

Simples!

Wondered why most boxes beak within a year or two.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547

Cause I prefer the Eurosport coverage and would rather give my £1 to a channel that covers the sport year round, rather than buys up cycling and then doesn't show it in preference to Minder or Poirot.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Poirot is controlled by images beamed from space.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    in a similar vein... i topped up my phone at the cashpoint a couple of weeks back. the confirmation text was received by the phone before the paper receipt came out of the machine!
    There is no secret ingredient...