music to commute

kieranb
kieranb Posts: 1,674
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
Seen threads before about music to do turbo training - high tempo energy stuff etc
Wondering what music would be best to commute to - thinking of this while listening to Spacemen 3 - Playing with Fire,

So music to keep you calm and chilled out to keep away the road rage? Maybe Spacement 3 are too chilled out?

I am always happy when a car passes by playing reggae as the driver usually takes it easy.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Massive Attack - protection.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Never dull your senses in the traffic with listening to music.
    It is a major no-no, I would be dead if I had listened to music on the bike.

Grabs popcorn, opens beer, sits back....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • kieranb
    Well, it is a theoretical question as I don't have an mp3 player, ipod/ etc.

Anyway so deaf people shouldn't cycle? What about motorcyclists or car drivers? ever drive with the radio on? etc

Anyway a simple soultion as others have said is to keep the volume down or just use one ear piece.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    kieranb wrote:
    Anyway so deaf people shouldn't cycle? What about motorcyclists or car drivers? ever drive with the radio on? etc

Motorcyclists and car drivers are, generally, less vulnerable to the actions of inconsiderate drivers.

Deaf people wouldn't cycle with one eye closed but a partially sighted person may still be able to cycle safely. It's about deliberately depriving yourself of something that would normally benefit you.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Wallace1492
    Deaf people have enhanced other senses, plus they do not choose to cut off one of their senses.

In a car you are not as vunerable as on a bike.

Off road I love it.....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    kieranb wrote:

Anyway a simple soultion as others have said is to keep the volume down or just use one ear piece.

I can't cycle in traffic, can't concentrate find it really unnerving. Fair play if you can though.

One point with regards to deaf people, they're other seances probably become a lot sharper to compensate.
  • mossychops
    mossychops Posts: 262
    Anyone ever use headphones to reduce externnal noise? There was a massive phase I came across where tossers would beep their horn as they overtook you to make you jump and wobble often people accelerating hard to overtake you can make you jump also. Doesn't seem to happen so much now, but for a good year it seemed like every ride someone would beep at you because they see you going fast downhill or coasting and resting your by taking your hands off. They obviously dont realise how nasty an accident it would be if a cyclist comes off like that, and think it would be a Richard Curtis film wobble and fall over sideways into a bush in their rear view mirror. These people also think if they shout "your back wheels going round the wrong way" I will stop my bike and check the back wheel. Complete idiots and always trying to show off to someone else in the car.

I have chased people down the road in anger because they have nearly had me off by blasting their horn - really not a good idea but sometimes when you're made to jump you see red.

I found that having earphones in with low volume music didnt stop me hearing anything but on fasts roads reduced the noise from fast moving/loud traffic to stop me jumping.
  • Wallace1492
    RichardSwt wrote:
    kieranb wrote:

I can't cycle in traffic, can't concentrate find it really unnerving. Fair play if you can though.

One point with regards to deaf people, they're other seances probably become a lot sharper to compensate.

That helps them get to the other side safely......
  • kieranb
    edited July 2011
    yes I would agree with most (except I think motorcyclists are more exposed to danger), as pointed out earlier I don't do it, and it was a theoretical question, like if you were in a submarine what music would you listen do? So to modify my question:

If you were commuting home on a segregated bike lane early Sunday morning during the petrol crisis what music would you listen to?

Also, to take some points above, then shouldn't all cyclists then wear hi-zi, body armour, have mirrors, lights on their bikes at all times? Some (especially to non-cyclists) would see these as no brainers?

Yes, deaf people have slightly better peripheral vision but at the speed cars go I would think not much help.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I'll resist the dulling senses guff

I tend no to listen to really relaxed music as I tend to relax and the pace can drop off

this is about as chilled as it gets I reckon... Here's some uber cool Brant Bjork (previously of Fu Manchu and Kyuss 'fame')

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejypsw29piQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXBGMohYVmE
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I just listen to a nice house or techno mix - which usually last about 75 minutes which is how long my commute is. Perfect.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    RichardSwt wrote:
    kieranb wrote:

That helps them get to the other side safely......

LOL, spell check fail.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I used to when commuting on the canal towpath, set a playlist that was about the time it took me, started off slower and increased in bpm, always found pendulum hard to beat at the end
  • CyclingBantam
    CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
    Seriously, we can't have the music debate again. It was only about a week ago we got over 10 pages? Surely nobody has the appetite for this?
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    I listen to music while cycling, see no problem in it personally. I just listen with one earphone in (use the right ear for listening out for traffic)

Anyhoo music wise, my selection consists of: Cee Lo Green, Lady GaGa, Franz Ferdinand, The Fratellis, Jools Holland, Hugh Laurie, Paolo Nutini, Squeeze, T-Rex, Chemical Brothers, Fatboy Slim, Paloma Faith, Elvis Costello, Daft Punk and Rosie and The Goldbug.

A diverse selection, but does the job nicely. :D
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    I listen to tunes on my daily commute with no issues

So far kings of Leon, athlete, Marillion, black country communion, acdc, are the main choices. Today however infound myself playing the jazz singer - Neil diamond
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    I don't listen to music, but I have a mental jukebox

The Massives and Spacemen 3 (holy oldie indie, Batman! Drugs and drugs and drugs and rock 'n' roll!) - no, too chilled

Think this morning it was something mad like The Teardrop Explodes

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    The XX would be OK on a chilled summer evening ride home from the pub.
  • king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    Since joining the commuter race camp I simply can't listen to music any more, I need to be fully alert to hear any signs of potential scalpers ... the click of a gear, the gasp of air...
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Speaker in one ear = catching those clicking gears approaching, not that if happens often :wink:

I just shuffle my entire iPhone collection, its just background music to stop ear worms and it beats the sound of wind.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Radio 4 on the Hybrid
    Noisia on the Road bike

My headphones allow me to hear pretty much everything thats going on. I'm not sure why people are so against the use of them. So much so that I've (ironically) heard people mutter disapprovingly about my headphones while at traffic lights.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    What music?

The Sound of Silence 8)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    notsoblue wrote:
    Radio 4 on the Hybrid

How to spoil a good bike ride :D
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue wrote:
    Radio 4 on the Hybrid

How to spoil a good bike ride :D

Philistine ;)
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Radio 4 is great and anyone who thinks different is a fool. A wrong-headed fool.

I wouldn't wear headphones when cycling on the road though.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • kieranb
    Radio 4 is great apart from the Archers, sorry to say.
  • notsoblue
    kieranb wrote:
    Radio 4 is great apart from the Archers, sorry to say.

Lately my pavlovian impulse to switch off whenever I hear the theme tune has been growing increasingly weak. I put it down to getting older. :S

OT: Went to see a recording of The Now Show last week. Its brilliant live!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    All about Metallica this week for me as I'm off to Sonisphere on Friday
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • I'm expecting a flaming for this, but here goes anyway.

If I'm riding on busy roads I want my wits about me and never have music, but I have a nice route into work that is almost exclusively cycle lane / shared use path / quiet residential roads and I have started to use the MP3 player. Most recently I have got into audio books, many of which are available for download for free. This morning for instance I enjoyed 5 chapters of "Journey to the interior of the earth"

If I leave work late I do enjoy the Radio 4 comedy half hour (6.30-7.00). I'm sorry I haven't a clue last night.

Flame away.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem