Hard Tail or Full Suspension for a newb

browner911
browner911 Posts: 7
edited July 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi ther, I have done a fair bit of reading other threads on here and some helpful and some not. Im a beginner to moutain biking, coming from motocross and supermoto i will not be a complete beginner. Thing is ive only started to look into this as my works doing the cycle2work scheme so im all but forced to shop from Halfords. Ive got a bugdet of about £800 give or take and wanted advise on weather i should get a HT or FS, possible bikes from there include Carerra Banshee X FS, Furry* HT, Boardman Comp and a few other Boardman biikes. I will initially start off just messing about on it, but want to have a crack at a bit of downhill, now the tracks near i live are nothing major a few forest tracks etc few jumps etx but nothing like some of those pro tracks on youtube.

Which would be best to go for, ive heard scare stories abuot the basshee X in that its a entry level full susp bike and will crumble under stress? Havin said that would a good hard tail for the same price take the same pounding.

Are there other specif bikes out there not from halfords in the same price range i would be beter going for? perhaps i can get teh c2w company to source them?

Cheers in advance :D

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you want to do proper downhill, you need a bike that can cope. None of your options will, though the Banshee is better suited than the others. It will however be heavy and awkward on easier XC trails.

You need to think about what the majority of your riding will be.
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    from a motorcross back ground i'd guess a decent full susser would be right up your street, but, brand new they'll come at a higher price tag than £800.

If you hadnt mentioned C2W, i'd have said go second hand.....
  • yea i no what your saying, look im not green I know you get what you pay for and it depends on how you use it also. There is method in my madness here, i can get a bike via c2w, use it lightly for 3-4 months sell it off for a reasonable lump sum fingers crossed and then re-invest the lump sum back into a better 2nd hand bike. At the minute i have no lump sum or asest to sell.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You are not allowed to sell; c2w bikes until the end of the agreement, as you are hiring the bike: you do not own it.
  • Dan_xz
    Dan_xz Posts: 130
    For £800 in Halford I would take a look at the Voodoo range. Might be a bit more hardcore orientated than the Boardman stuff etc..
  • My company wont have a clue if my bike is lying in my garage or sold to a russian astronaught to use as a tv arial whilst on a trip to Saturn. :D

Saw the VooDoo Canzo on halfords there, £999 surely for a beginner who wont generally wont be putting the bike under huge stress due to limited tracks, this bike would do ? No ? yes?

or Perhaps there are other mufactures i should look at else were in similar price range that would be more suitable?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Apart from your obvious issue with morals, if not law, any bike, even 'lightly used is unlikely to keep enough value second hand to give you a lump sum of anything more than you still owe.
    And as mentioned above, you will not have an asset to sell, you will be selling someone else's asset.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Spare me the bible speach. This was only an alternative option. Im probably going to get the vudoo bike mentioned above or a Scott Aspect FX25 which i saw at a LBS, I have made an enquiry to the scheme to see if they will allow me to get that Scott bike. I know they are a more reptutable manufacture so i figured the bike may suit better for the same ish money.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    browner911 wrote:
    Spare me the bible speach.
    Oh excellent. Now you want to pick fights.
    He actually gave you some useful advice, if only that chip on your shoulder would less you read it.
  • Im not pickin fights I just dont need to be told about whats morally right and wrong!! Chip on my shoulder , wise up!
  • Anonymous
    What about legality?
    Did you READ the rest of his post? It was useful to you, and relevant.
    Stop making such a total clumpet of yourself.
  • cooldad
    Bible speech? Hardly, I come from a long line of atheists and my other regular forum is a famous sceptic one.
    I do however have morals, go figure.
    Although for the sake of accuracy, I am an actual priest of the Universal Life Church, legally entitled to carry out marriages in the USA, and use the title Reverend. Did it to prove some point now long forgotten.
    So go in peace my child, and stop being a d1ck.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nozzac
    nozzac Posts: 408
    cooldad wrote:
    Hardly, I come from a long line of atheists and my other regular forum is a famous sceptic one.

Which one, Randi.org?
  • cooldad
    That would be the one. Under a pseudonym of course to protect the innocent .
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Browner911 i would take the advice on here and listen carefully to what these experienced and knowledgeable people are telling you....i certainly wouldn't be splurting out negative comments with regards to your post, by the way you do not own the bike until the contract agreement is over with, and that is coming from a Trading Standards spokesman :wink:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Browner911: You have to pay a final value fee to the company at the end of the hire period. If they've given the cyclesheme admin to one of the companies that administer them as a business (e.g Bike2Work), then they won't 'foget' you've got the bike.

Use the scheme to buy a bike and keep it for a year, if you then want to get rid of it you have to buy it off the firm, probably for 25% of the original value, and then you can sell it......probably for 25% of the original value......

So, just use the scheme properly or don't use it at all. This isn't a moral argument, and if you want to ignore the legalities of it, then financially it doesn't make much sense.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Do you never sell a mobile phone whilst on a 18 month contract?? Anyway I managed to get a bike sorted out, turns out the best advice is do your research! Im glad i wont be meeting any of use lot down a mountain near me anyway, im surprised use get any racing done i can picture it now (the sermon on the mount) with all the bikes gathered around the choosen 1. HA
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    browner911 wrote:
    Do you never sell a mobile phone whilst on a 18 month contract?? Anyway I managed to get a bike sorted out, turns out the best advice is do your research! Im glad i wont be meeting any of use lot down a mountain near me anyway, im surprised use get any racing done i can picture it now (the sermon on the mount) with all the bikes gathered around the choosen 1. HA

dumbass.jpg[/img]
  • Anonymous
    :roll:
    Are you actually for real?
  • cooldad
    Red isn't but unfortunately I think the moron is.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    browner911 wrote:
    Do you never sell a mobile phone whilst on a 18 month contract?? Anyway I managed to get a bike sorted out, turns out the best advice is do your research! Im glad i wont be meeting any of use lot down a mountain near me anyway, im surprised use get any racing done i can picture it now (the sermon on the mount) with all the bikes gathered around the choosen 1. HA

Firstly, what does "use" mean in this context, other than advertising your obvious mental shortcomings.

Secondly, selling a mobile phone mid-contract has no relation to C2W. With the former, you OWN the phone but have to pay a monthly contract fee for network usage. The network does not give a crap if you have the phone, they keep charging you. For C2W, your employer leases you the bike then charges you a fee at the end to buy it. The analogy you'd be better off using is "Do you never sell a hire car whilst on a 2 day rental??" in which case the answer is "No, because that would be theft".
  • At the end of the cyclescheme I had to take my bike back to the bikeshop to get inspected for its final payment, Had I sold the bike mid way through the year I would of been up shit creek without a paddle.
    AUT PAX AUT BELLUM
    My Kayaking Blog http://naefearjustbeer.wordpress.com/
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    There you going being a bible basher; assuming bible basher is code for "law abiding"
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    is this guy the most webbo/retarded person in BR history?!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Anonymous
    joshtp wrote:
    is this guy the most webbo/retarded person in BR history?!
    It's certainly a close call with another few members.
  • james-m-h
    james-m-h Posts: 85
    id say get a hardtail as at that price will be lighter but also better speced. going onto a hardtailwill also help you learn techniques at a more raw stage, if you can master the stuff on a hard tail you will breeze it when you come to being able to afford a full sus rig
    road- Trek 1000
    XC trail anthem X4
    school and shops- orange P7 single speed
  • cooldad
    use gise shudent bee so naztie 2 retreds. thay arr subhewmen 2
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    @james - did you miss some of the thread?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    well this wasn't what i was expecting :roll: :lol:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • I think a village is missing an idiot.
This discussion has been closed.