I know I'm a grumpy old sod

2»

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    You dont like bike racing...nothing new there.

I remember my 5'th Tour de France. It was the last win for Lemond and it was a reasonable Tour. I used to be very excitable back then too, so I can probably see where you're coming from.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • claudb
    claudb Posts: 212
    I'm excited about it !!!!
    Still reckon the Schleck the Younger was flattered a bit last year by an under-par Contador (maybe something he ate) but, seriously, I struggle to see anyone living with AC if he's anything like his Giro form. Wiggins, VDB, Evans and others for the 3rd spot, Green jersey might be a bit different due to the new rules, sufficient young guns keen to make their mark, recent French revival should ensure daring breakaways, mountains a plenty. And it'll all be in glorious HD for the first time for me.
    58585 Posts: 207
    Well I have to agree to a certain extent, there is even more of the pantomime element this year. Seems like the public at large agree, what with the booing Contador got the other day.
    That said there's not much to lose really, we're all expecting another 10 to 15 minute win for the little Spaniard, a handful of stage wins for Cavendish, Evans blowing-up at the wrong moment, and plenty arty shots of sunflowers. Any good racing should be seen as a bonus!
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Iain, just admit you enjoy being grumpy.

There's nothing wrong with a good dose of grumpiness in July. I myself am presently too ill with flu to perfect my grumpiness, but I shall as the Tour progresses as my dream of finally.....eventually....going to France has come to naught. I'm home alone, too weak to travel, nursing a sick cat and being phoned nightly by hubby and his family who are going to the Grand Depart tomorrow.

Bah humbug.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,795
    must admit finding the whole thing underwhelming this year....

uphill finishes in the first week maybe fun
    we will see.....

the bertie thing is just preposterous
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    must admit finding the whole thing underwhelming this year....

uphill finishes in the first week maybe fun
    we will see.....

the bertie thing is just preposterous

This exactly.

I find it difficult enough as it is to be enthusiastic about a sport which seems so dirty, but am usually able to. But this bertie thing is a whole new level.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    I don't entirely buy into this Bertie is ruining it all thing. How many people really thought the guy was clean before the clen +ive? Sure it's a shambles that he's riding, but drug cheat rides the TdF, hardly news really. Come on, suck it up and enjoy :)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    I'm off to watch a couple of the first week stages and should be on the Mur de Bretagne, but, but, but..........................I can't say I'm overly excited.
    Nothing to do with Bertie or BMC and Lotto, for that matter.

Maybe, we are just at race saturation point.

Wimbledon anybody?..................nothing predictable there. :roll:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • I bet Iain is a flippin riot at parties! Miserable get.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    It's the one race that enters "normal" people's perspectives and so grants you licence to talk cycling at work.

It's the massiveness that I like, although it's often not the best race. But you know that everyone that's racing is racing it. They're not preparing for a later date, or tapering form for a goal later in the year (apart from if you're Cav in 2008)
  • iainf72
    And while I'm moaning.....

I wish they still had the TTT as a split stage. 90km stage in the morning with TTT in the afternoon. A lot more interesting that a poxy TTT in the afternoon.

And before you accuse me of a being a dinosaur, I think split stages should only be on TTT days.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    ^^^^^^^
    What's the cycling equivalent of jumpers for goalposts?
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Please skim by...........
    but as there's a moaning thread I wish to grump that I've just received photographs from the Rev Tusher, nieces, nephew, and in-laws. All of them all enjoying the Grand Depart. They were sitting on a wall by the Passage du Gois in the sun. Nephew was beaten to any offerings from the caravan by gangs of violent French grannies.

Recovering cat and poorly self are barely able to switch on the TV.

Life's Not Fair.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    dougzz wrote:
    ^^^^^^^
    What's the cycling equivalent of jumpers for goalposts?

Hah!

Think you've been pwned Ian ;)
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Iain, I'm especially disgruntled at the TTT.. 26km?!

Euskaltel can't be expected to shed 4 riders and lose 6 minutes in that kind of distance!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Iain, I'm especially disgruntled at the TTT.. 26km?!

Euskaltel can't be expected to shed 4 riders and lose 6 minutes in that kind of distance!

Classic that made me chuckle
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    iainf72 wrote:

A certain forumite of the Irish persuasion who I bumped into on the tube yesterday predicted this exact thread would occur.

Now where's that tinfoil hat....

Oh no, I'm Captain Predictable.

Ummm, Go Cav! You rock and wear your heart on your sleeve....

Too funny :lol:

Which of course is the other rant you have every July :wink:
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • iainf72
    Timoid. wrote:

Too funny :lol:

Which of course is the other rant you have every July :wink:

I will have to reconsider inviting you for lunch anytime soon with that attitude :wink: