Rear rack for a Misty Mixte

moonio
moonio Posts: 802
edited July 2011 in Commuting chat
Apparently its really difficult to fit a rear rack to Mixte bikes due to short Stays???

Does anyone know of a model/brand which might work on my Raleigh Misty Mixte?

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Just found this.
    Made by a company called Hjeltness.

Thats your starter for 10.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    The wheels are 27", the stays are normal size for a sport bike.
    The difficulty is that it has no seatstay rack mounts, you either use a 3-point mounting to the steatay bridge OR use P-clips, or have your friendly local brazer add some threaded eyelets. I did the last for less than £15.

Tubus make some nice P clips.
  • moonio
    ok thanks :D
  • moonio
  • Confusedboy
    Confusedboy Posts: 287
    Or a bar rack. I have a Toepeak one with matching pannier/top bag which is the mutt's nuts for shopping. It is a bit on the heavy side, but will clamp to the seatpost of any bike, making it particularly suitable for multiple bike owners, a rear light can be attached easily, and it has a little drawer for your toolkit.

Play Misty for me.....
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    moonio wrote:

No, that is for bikes without any threaded eyelets. It fits onto the rear axle and the seatpost.

You have lower eyelets so make use of them with a std rack. The P clips will allow any std rack to fit your frame.

I like my racks to be light and strong with fully triangulated legs (the rear pair angle in), 3 each side and an open top plate for lashing big loads. This is a cheap copy of a Blackburn EX1. I have both and they both work the same. The only feature lacking is a rear bracket for a bolt-on lamp. You have to step up a grade to Tubus to get that.

Seatpost-clamping racks are heavy and weak. Top-plates do the same a mudguards but not as well and limit your loading options.
    3 legs are stronger than 2. Dogleg bent stays are useful for cheaper pannier bags with poor stiffening but decent panniers dont need them.
    Modern pannier mounts need free lengths of single rod on the top to hook around. Many modern panniers use doubled up widths which interfere with mounting, ie the vertical stay is bent horizontally at the top and welded alongside the top for an inch or so..

Basically, most modern panniers are inferior to classic older designs.
  • Confusedboy
    'Seatpost-clamping racks are heavy and weak'

Heavy certainly but not weak. Mine has been in regular use on the shopping run for 4 years now, and has proved more than man enough for the task. I am going up Sainsbury's with it as soon as I have finished this.

I would not particulary recommend it to anyone with just the one bike they wanted to fit a rack to, as there are much lighter options out there, and it probably induces unhealthy amounts of stress in cheapo or lightweight seatposts, but it is a viable option for multi-bike users. Another drawback worth mentioning with mine is that it has to be mounted a good way up the seatpost to clear a 700c wheel, which may lead to the centre of gravity being higher than you want under load, and means you have to swing your leg over higher as well, though that will not be an issue on a Mixte.

I think you will regret it if you buy any sort of carrier/rack which does not have provision for mounting a rear light. If your rear light has to live on the seatpost, it will be obscured by anything you carrry on the rack, plus a rack-mounted rear light is a lot less prone to being covered in road dirt in the wet.
  • moonio
    I normally have my light down by the 'chain stay' thing?? as I usually cycle in dresses etc which can cover the rear reflector..
    I'm going to ask my local bike shop to fit a rack as I cant get my head round the p-clip and also the holes where it should go in at the axel have the mudguards attached to it, so i have no idea how to attach it there...
  • Confusedboy
    moonio wrote:
    I normally have my light down by the 'chain stay' thing?? as I usually cycle in dresses etc which can cover the rear reflector..
    I'm going to ask my local bike shop to fit a rack as I cant get my head round the p-clip and also the holes where it should go in at the axel have the mudguards attached to it, so i have no idea how to attach it there...

All the more reason to mount the light on your carrier, where it will be miles away from your dress. Where you have it is a bit low down and means that drivers will assume you to be further away than you are from them, and you run the risk of the light coming loose and entangling itself in your spokes. Not the end of the world like it would be on the front wheel, but not a good thing either, a smashed light and/or broken spokes meaning a walk home and an expensive trip to the LBS. The LBS will sort it when they fix the rack.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    bastardising a light bracket to fit on a rack is a pretty easy task.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem