SRAM Shimano cassette compatibility

SteveR_100Milers
SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
edited July 2011 in Workshop
I want to use a 10 speed SRAM red cassette with a 2011 dura ace chainset, before I cover myself in crap and experiment, does anyone know for sure is it compatible or not??

Thanks!

Comments

• andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Don't understand how it could not be ?
  • Shimano and Sram cassettes are cross compatible. Fill yer boots.
    It doesn't get any easier, but I don't appear to be getting any faster.
  • Well, it was slightly confusing:

Original state:

1 x PX disc wheel with SRAM 11-26 cassette (no spacers or shims)
    1 x Kyrium elite with DURA ACE 11-25 with shim and spacer
    1 x Cosmic carbone with 105 11-23 with shim & spacer

New condition:

PX with 105 11-23 with shim
    elite with SRAM 11-26 with spacer but no shim
    carbone with the dura ace with shim and spacer.

Just done a quick 20+ miles on the carbones, all working well not withstanding a slightly bent mech hanger.

Quick spin on the turbo with TT bilke indicates the disc is at least note terminal, road test is the only way though.
    Tomorrow will discover if the Elites are ok.

I have such an interesting life, I'm just off to read screwdriver weekly.....
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    DOn't some Mavic wheels use a thin spacer with some cassettes? I recall having these spacers with my old Dura Ace cassettes...

But essentially, Sram and Shimano are compatible 100%
  • andy_wrx
    The Mavic wheels with the M10 hubs need the Mavic spacer (3.5mm) for any Shimano or SRAM cassettes
    The 10sp Shimano cassettes need the 10sp Shimano spacer (1mm) as they are narrower than a Shimano 8/9sp cassette
    The SRAM cassette needs no spacer as it's same width as a Shimano 8/9sp cassette

So assuming 'shim' means 10sp spacer and 'spacer' means Mavic spacer, you've got it right

But your original question was about a DA chainset, not about various wheels & hubs
    - still can't figure out what difference the chainset could make :lol:
  • My hunch was correct, though the SRAM cassette is not as effective as the shimano DA one. The mavic hubs do indeed require a spacer whatever cassette is fitted, and the 10 spd cassette requires the thin shim.

Why chainset? well because if the SRAM had different spacing, then a dura ace index would not work, ergo would have had to use a SRAM shifter & rear mech. (maybe the confusion is in the definition of chainset - I meant the whole drivetrain)
  • andy_wrx
    Ah ! A chainset is just the cranks and chainrings - hence why I couldn't imagine what difference that could make to your cassette !

Yeah , the SRAM and Shimano cassettes are the same cog spacing and splining, so are interchangeable.
    But the SRAM rear shifter and rear mech runs on a different cable-pull to Shimano shifter and rear mech, so you need to run as a set.
    Front shifters and mechs would be interchangeable, as actually would Campag