What model are these Oakleys?

bentes
bentes Posts: 286
edited July 2011 in MTB general
Hi!

So this guy is selling some Oakley sunglasses very cheap (*very*).
When I asked him wich model were they and if they were genuine Oakleys, he told me they were brand new, genuine Oakley Radars.

As far as I know, these aren't radars because radars have a single lens.

Anyone knows what model are they, or if they are real Oakleys?

I'm asking because besides although being cheap, if they're not Oakley I'll stick to my current ones.

Thanks to all!

Photo:

ViewPicture.jpg

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    They're fake, totally. Oakleys have rubber 'ear socks' that slide over the arms, not inserts like that. I'd avoid, he's clearly lying so they're quite possibly rubbish!

As you say they're nothing like Radars:

radar_shooting_pitch.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as far as I know all Oakleys do have the model name on them so it is not like he can get their ID wrong.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • there are a few peeps sneeking onto ebay that sell Oakleys, direct from the factory!
    i bought a cheap pair for riding and whilst they look athe same they ae actually smaller than the originals!! have a look on the oakley site and see if they come up with anything close
    www.oakley.com

american site is better as holds more models! just dont get carried away with the Custom sunnies generator!! can become very expensive! :wink::lol::lol::lol:

there are Loads of places out there that sell fake oakleys, the pair i got on the case has OAKEY lol! but then 2 pairs were less than £25 - that said, sopme carefull ebaying got me some Genuine oakley's for £18!!
    the fakes are okay for show, but the main issue is with the lenses, oakleys are proper UV lenses and trustworthy, lord oly knows what the fakeleys are made from, prolly just tinted persepx! :wink: could do much damage to the eyeballs!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • bentes
    Thanks!

I'll give them a pass then! :)

**runs to ebay to hunt some shiny Oakleys!**
  • njee20
    There is nothing feature wise that makes them look like Oakleys, being a loser I know my Oakleys, and they are not!

The case is totally wrong; they come with a cloth (real Oakleys just use the bag); the lense tints are wrong (there's no blue lense like that); the ear socks as I said above; the cord for round your neck; the writing on the top of the frame.

The fact he's trying to pass them of as Radars show's he's either lying or incompetent, either way I'd not buy from him (incidentally they do say what they are on the inside of the arms - my Radars here say it on the LH earsock).

Just no.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    there are a few peeps sneeking onto ebay that sell Oakleys, direct from the factory!
    i bought a cheap pair for riding and whilst they look athe same they ae actually smaller than the originals!!
    Erm, they're not real Oakleys then, are they?
  • there are a few peeps sneeking onto ebay that sell Oakleys, direct from the factory!
    i bought a cheap pair for riding and whilst they look athe same they ae actually smaller than the originals!!
    Erm, they're not real Oakleys then, are they?

well obviously not, but looking at the adverts they all suggest they come out of the same factory and are labeled in the same manor, just at a fraction of the price, much like the carbon frames on ebay, made in the same place, etc. just run off an extra load and share them out! or in this case, run off a load of remarkably good looking copy's and sell them off! but then you should know that paying less than a tenner New your not going to be getting oakleys!! :wink:
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
  • Anonymous
    Right. So those people aren't selling Oakleys. And they aren't selling them straight from the factory. If they were, they'd be identical to Oakleys - since they'd be coming from the same production line.
  • njee20
    Right. So those people aren't selling Oakleys. And they aren't selling them straight from the factory. If they were, they'd be identical to Oakleys - since they'd be coming from the same production line.

This.

If the frames are a different size the lenses must also be different, thus they likely bear no resemblence whatsoever to the real thing, and you may as well buy some B&Q safety specs. Each to their own!
  • It's never a good idea to buy sunglasses if you are not sure about their origin. If they don't have the right UV filtering properties you can do your eyes real damage. Bad sunglasses are worse than no sunglasses. Glasses that don't filter UV properly can still cause your pupils to dilate and let more UV light reach the back of your eyes, which doesn't do them much good.
  • Anonymous
    + Potato
  • Stiff_Orange
    Stiff_Orange Posts: 218
    njee20 wrote:

If the frames are a different size the lenses must also be different, thus they likely bear no resemblence whatsoever to the real thing

There are genuine smaller size Oakley frames designed for the Asian market but they do take the same lenses as the European fit. Check out the Oakley site

http://uk.oakley.com/store/products/men ... /asian-fit.

However the ones in the OP are definitely fake, they seem to be a knockoff of the Half Jacket.
    but looking at the adverts they all suggest they come out of the same factory and are labeled in the same manor, just at a fraction of the price

It's not unusual for a sub-contracted factory to make products of different quality for different customers. So even if they were made in the same factory as Oakleys doesn't necessaily make them the same as Oakleys.

I wouldn't touch them with a BP .
  • njee20
    There are genuine smaller size Oakley frames designed for the Asian market but they do take the same lenses as the European fit. Check out the Oakley site

Asian fit aren't smaller - they're wider, more squared off with a wider, flatter nose piece.
  • Stiff_Orange
    Stiff_Orange Posts: 218
    njee20 wrote:

Asian fit aren't smaller - they're wider, more squared off with a wider, flatter nose piece.

When I compared them in an Oakley store in the US, the Asian fit do give the appearence of looking smaller probably because they have a narrower bridge than conventional ones. And the sales guy claimed the lenses were the same.
  • njee20
    Fair enough.

I'll still wager that glasses being sold for peanuts as Oakley, and from the same factory, but with smaller frames are fake, not Asian fit, which are not smaller, despite how it may appear!
  • surreyxc
    surreyxc Posts: 293
    I would steer well clear, unless you are 110% certain you are buying genuine glasses i would not bother. Maybe your lucky and have a spare set of eyeballs but most people only get one set for life so well worth looking after.
  • the asian fit gascans are smaller and slightly different design on the arms, often known as gascan S, the S being Small, i seem to remember Visionary lenses dont make Replacement lenses for the Gascan S but do for the Gascan (i have a coupl eof sets of the lenses they make in my oakleys and they are Spot on!)

theere are a few sites if you type in replica or fake oakleys in google that come up, quite a few of the models they offer come in colours never made by oakley, always a giveaway,
    i knew the ones i got were fakes, but on the off chance that the lenses form the genuine ones would fit was worth a shot for riding glasses for less than a tenner,

the guy i bought mine from isnt an ebay member any more but the add did have genuine oakleyus on it despite them being £6!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
  • ry1978
    ry1978 Posts: 166
    The other thing to note when buying Oakleys is that they never put any stickers on the lens, so the UV stickers in the image are another give away that they're fakes.
    Specialized Roubaix
    Cannondale F900 SL
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR120
  • trooperk
    trooperk Posts: 189
    ry1978 wrote:
    The other thing to note when buying Oakleys is that they never put any stickers on the lens, so the UV stickers in the image are another give away that they're fakes.
    wrong,some have a blue round circle with a letter H,
    Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.
  • Anonymous
    trooperk, I've never seen that. What does it signify?
  • ry1978
    ry1978 Posts: 166
    They must have been fakes as well!!
    Specialized Roubaix
    Cannondale F900 SL
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR120
  • Pete-C
    Pete-C Posts: 353
    trooperk, I've never seen that. What does it signify?
    The H is for a hydrophobic lens which allows water/oil to form droplets on the lens and roll off. Its found on the radars and flak jackets mainly with a few other select models
    "Its all fun and games till someone gets hurt, then its hilarious"
    Pitch Comp
  • Anonymous
    I had some hydrophobic riding glasses once, I think they might have been Bolle - they were ace!
    They didn't really mist up, it kept condensing and running down as water then coming off. Very strange, but very cool.
  • trooperk
    trooperk Posts: 189
    Ta Pete-C for answer.
    For anyone who’s interested, I’m a big Oakley fan, brought my first pair in 1989 and last count I’ve got 16 pairs now after I’ve sold some that I don’t wear, a few years back I started to collect some older models so I spent a long time searching on EBay and got to know a lot of fakes, I have a data base of every pair of Oakley’s made with model number and lens combo, I think I can recognise about 90% of Oakley’s names and lens combo (apart from some of the girl’s models) if shown to me.
    So anyone wants a second opinion on Oakley glasses give me a shout and be happy to help.
    Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.
  • Shotsaway
    Shotsaway Posts: 175
    If you are looking for cheap Oakley's you could try the Oakley Vault Outlet Store in Portsmouth. They also sell via their website http://www.eyewearoutlet.co.uk/

The only problem with them is because they are an outlet store their stock can be fairly limited but if you are prepared to wait and look on a regular basis, eventually you should be able to find the model you are looking for.

I have bought two pairs of glasses from them over the last couple of years and a pair of snowboard goggles. My most recent purchase was In March this year and I bought a pair of Radar Range's with the G30 Iridium lenses for £80.
  • eyewear outlook are good! i got the good lady's from there last year!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    eyewear outlook are good! i got the good lady's from there last year!

I can certainly vouch for this - my Oakleys have been fantastic from there :)
  • DickBarton
    DickBarton Posts: 201
    Crikey all this chat over Oakleys and the OP just wanted to know if they were real or not...

From the sounds of things, they aren't.
    The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...
  • bentes
    DickBarton wrote:
    Crikey all this chat over Oakleys and the OP just wanted to know if they were real or not...

From the sounds of things, they aren't.

The main idea was to know if they were real or not wich I now know they're not. :)

But the discussion and amount of information I got from this thread has proved very interesting and I learned a few things with it. So I welcome all the posts and thank everyone who took their time to help and contribute to the discussion. As far as I'm concerned feel free to continue if you wish to. 8)