Very sad news.

benjboy
benjboy Posts: 258
edited July 2011 in Amateur race
It is with great sadness, that I have to tell you that Karl Austin was killed in a time trial accident just after 8 o'clock last night. He was riding in a South Pennine club 10 on the A50 at Etwall, when he was struck from behind by an HGV. Mercifully the police said that he would have known nothing about it. Karl rode for Congleton Cycling Club and Karl leaves behind a wife and family. R.I.P Karl..
Keep the chain tight all the way.

Comments

• Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    Terrible news - difficult to know what to say. Deepest sympathy and very best wishes to Karl's family & friends.
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    Blimey! Used to be a close competitor in 24hr time trials with him a long time ago.

You just don't know when your luck is going to run out, I guess. Similar happened to a clubmate a while back.

Sympathy to family I guess- they'll be devastated.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Always sad to hear of a death, and I suspect they will end up banning the use of Etwall course for TT's, apparently it was going through government, and I was marshalling at the wheelers 50 some weeks ago and I'd be terrified riding that.

Infact, some waitrose lorry driver came past giving ME abuse and as he went past a cyclist close sprayed his windscreen wipers at him, and even a woman came into the HQ asking who let people on the road.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I've ridden that course and while it is super-fast, it is also super-scary. Despite there being two lanes and not much traffic, drivers STILL don't seem to want to give you any room.

RIP Karl - as he's from the club just up the road. Terrible news.
  • JamieW
    JamieW Posts: 114
    RIP Karl - Joined the same club as him this year and he was always smiley and friendly.

You'll be missed. Deepest sympathies to all family and friends.
  • Sad news indeed, symapthies to family and friends, and indeed those others involved, its traumatic for everyone.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    :(

Heard about this on my cycle club forum (mercia) of which the Etwal TT route is their run.

My condolences goto the family .

This is the second death this year in the area with the death of Patrick Kenny earlier this year highlights the hazards we face every day.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    Poor f*cker. It's getting more dangerous out there.