3 x 8 and 2 x 10.......difference ?

castlelad
castlelad Posts: 414
edited July 2011 in MTB general
I currently ride 3x8 crankset and im thinking about getting a vitus zircon/nucleus, which runs a sram 2x10.....will i notice a big difference in performance etc etc.....

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It depends on the ratios of what you have and what you are looking at.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bigger difference from the bike than from the gear! Otherwise ditto on SS's comments!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • castlelad
    castlelad Posts: 414
    cheers lads.....as u've probably noticed from previous posts, im a complete newb !....only wanted a bike to get to work on, now i spend more time finding new ways to get to/from work/home etc etc....
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Yes you will notice a difference, but only because your new SRAM will work better than the old 3x8 stuff. As for 3x10, 2x10, 3x9 it's all much of a muchness. I personally ride 2x9 (3x9 minus the granny) as no-one needs to go that slow.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • supersonic
    A bit of a generalisation there - I like the small ring for the very steep climbs here.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    supersonic wrote:
    A bit of a generalisation there - I like the small ring for the very steep climbs here.
    +1, and also different people have different rhythms so there's no saying that someone in gear 1x3 is necassarily going slower than you in gear 2x1.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    supersonic wrote:

Of course, each to their own naturally. I did first ditch the granny ring during my 4 years living in Sheffield, I just never found it got used.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • supersonic
    Sheffield is a big place lol. When hitting some climbs off sharp turns at very low pace you simply (at least with my weight) physically can't turn a higher gear.