How best to dry off soaking Five Tens?

Adam_DT3
Adam_DT3 Posts: 52
edited July 2011 in MTB general
after a rather muddy/wet ride on Saturday I tried to clean up my new fiveten impact shoes best I could, but given its 5 days later they are still wet despite drying for all this time.

Has anybody found a way to have a faster turnaround on this?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have the luxury of a conveniently placed shed with an ngled roof. I stick my shoes on there, and it catches the sun for almost the entire day.
    On a nice day like today, they'll dry out by the time I come home from work, easily.

Have you tried tumble drying them? I've done it to a few old pairs of Vans and they've comg out ok, really.
  • Dan Dare
    Dan Dare Posts: 367
    I stuff mine with newspaper and change it after a few hours, this gets the majority of the moisture out, I then leave them empty in the air outside.
  • Adam_DT3
    They are pretty heavy, so I was a bit scared to try incase the missus kills me for breaking the machine :lol: Im in a flat so no option for drying outside unfortunetly (esp in glasgow, they would either get soaked again or nicked).
  • Anonymous
    :lol: Fair enough. To be honest, as ideal as my shed roof is, the opportunity to air-dry them here in north Wales isn't particularly regular either!

My Vans make one hell of a racket in the tumble dryer - but luckily it's at the opposite end of the house to where I sleep :wink::lol:
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    I have the luxury of a conveniently placed shed with an angled roof. I stick my shoes on there, and it catches the sun for almost the entire day.

2ND that, was just about to put that down, ive got a pair on there now, if it rains they get bit of wash too, bonus :D
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't put them in front of a heater and forget about them.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    5 10 say only dry them at room temperature, anything more destroys the glue. Personally I think that's just a smokescreen for the fact that their shoes are pretty badly made, but hey.

I've got a set of Dampires- which are just massive versions of those little silica dessicant sacks you sometimes get packaged with stuff. They're the only thing in the world that's more absorbent than 5 10 Impacts, and they do make a big difference. But they're not cheap for what they are. Dessicant packs work fine, if you've got about a hundred of them
    Uncompromising extremist
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    stuff them with newspaper, once paper is wet remove and repeat........

speeds it up no end
  • Anonymous
    Northwind, I don't know about 5:10s, but the low setting on the tumbler seems fine for trainers and the like.
  • CharlieH
    CharlieH Posts: 410
    Silicon gel dryers from CRC and then sit them under the radiator in the kitchen. They dry off in a few hours, even after my wife got sick of seeing muddy shoes and jet washed them for me :)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Northwind, I don't know about 5:10s, but the low setting on the tumbler seems fine for trainers and the like.

It probably is tbh. Like I say, I think it's a handy excuse for when people say "My shoes have fallen apart after 6 months"
    Uncompromising extremist
  • stuff with newspaper and put them in the airing cupboard, but be warned if they Honk then much of the airing cupboard will do so after too! hahha!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • kg211
    kg211 Posts: 34
    Turn nappy inside out and stuff inside shoe. (Make sure it is un-used :twisted: )
    Handy way to use up old nappies after the boy stopped using them.
  • Anonymous
    kg211 wrote:
    Make sure it is un-used :twisted:
    :lol:
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    microwave could be good,

keep it on defrost setting
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Stuff with newspaper, put in airing cupboard (remember them) replace paper every time its got damp, dry old paper out and swap!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • h34e0f
    h34e0f Posts: 370
    As said stuff with newspaper. Not sure if it's been mentioned but it's often best to suspend them (I usually stick them on my handlebar ends). This is to prevent them sitting rubber-down meaning that moisture can't escape from the bottom & therefore sitting there in pools. They'll drip dry faster than they'll evaporate.
  • Adam_DT3
    im out tomorrow so will try the old newspaper trick. My socks will remind me of the impending murray defeat no doubt.

Cheers for all the suggestions! :D
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as said Slowly.

thats why I have two pairs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Northwind wrote:
    I've got a set of Dampires- which are just massive versions of those little silica dessicant sacks you sometimes get packaged with stuff. They're the only thing in the world that's more absorbent than 5 10 Impacts, and they do make a big difference. But they're not cheap for what they are. Dessicant packs work fine, if you've got about a hundred of them
    I use the same stuff, Dryzone drying gel packs. Got them for ski boots really, but can be handy for soggy shoes.

That said I've not really got my 5 10s that wet inside, even though they've been thoroughly muddy and wet outside. I don't tend to wade in puddles and lakes with them though.

The other solution is to move down here where it's bone dry ;)
  • TowerRider
    TowerRider Posts: 430
    Dehumidifier works a treat, without any risk.
    Have 5.10 Karvers with tongue and they are never as wet as you seem to have got yours - forced through peat bog up to knees once.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    The boot dryer packs/ball work fine as does a dehumidifier, but how do you get your riding shoes so wet? I've had impact 2 His for two years all through mud and snow without getting noticibly wet inside? If you are submeriging them to clean them. then don't, a damp cloth with some mild detergent/gear cleaner is much better.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Anonymous
    captainfly, I take it none of your rides are in the rain, or through riverbeds or fords then?
    Try riding somewhere like Penmachno, even in a heatwave drought, and your feet will get absolutely sodden.
  • captainfly
    captainfly, I take it none of your rides are in the rain, or through riverbeds or fords then?
    Try riding somewhere like Penmachno, even in a heatwave drought, and your feet will get absolutely sodden.

Lots of rain, mud and snow over winter, but riverbeds or fords? That isn't really 5.10 riding get some goretex spds for that sort of thing, 5.10 are proper clogs for aggressive flat pedal riding.
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Anonymous
    That kind of thing crops up very often in mountain biking. Your rides don't feature them but that doesn't mean its the case for everyone.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Don't put them too close to a heater, they start melting :oops:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • captainfly
    That kind of thing crops up very often in mountain biking. Your rides don't feature them but that doesn't mean its the case for everyone.

Fair point,
    but I do get the feeling people ask too much of 5.10s when they obviously aren't designed or made to be waterproof (but drying waterproof boots that have got wet inside is a PITA) or fast drying. And try not to wear technical wicking socks and shorts as that can be more of an issue getting water inside footwear as they tend to distribute the water off your legs right down to your toes, natura fibre can often be better.
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0