Valve cutting at the base of inner tube causing punctures

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all

I have been having sporadic issues with the base of the valve cutting and giving a puncture.
I have filed down the valve hole on the rim and put a decent amount of rim tape down to protect it and have ensured that it is smooth.

Any ideas as to what could be causing it? I have tried various tubes with Schrader valves and it has helped over presta but it still happens from time to time.
Is it that the pressure that i am running the tube with is too low hence causing the split?

Do others also experience this problem with valves splitting where it meets the tube?

Thanks
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    tyres slipping on the rims pulling the tube around.

get better fitting tyres or tubes that have more metal on the valve stem. and use the locking nut.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you're already using locknut valves, don't fully tighten the locknut until you've inflated the tyre. It can be possible for you to trap the valve under the tyre, causing a blowout, or ripping th evalve off.
  • mikeyj28
    nicklouse wrote:
    tyres slipping on the rims pulling the tube around.

get better fitting tyres or tubes that have more metal on the valve stem. and use the locking nut.

I have locknuts that i use on the tube to keep it in place. It could be the tyre that has moved around while it is on the rim. My tyre has covered a good few miles and i have recently switched it from the front to the rear.This could be why the rear has had issues. I had the same issue on the front but i changed from presta to schrader valve and that worked wonders.

Is it just a case of getting a new tyre as a new one will retain its position a lot better?

Thanks for the tip about not locking them until the tyre is fully inflated. I usually tighten them when the tyre has been pumped up about 80%.
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    80% should be fine. The problem is caused then the tube is almost flat, so that tightening the locknut traps the valve in the wrong place. Best to let it inflate first, to seat the tyre, then lock it in place.
  • mikeyj28
    80% should be fine. The problem is caused then the tube is almost flat, so that tightening the locknut traps the valve in the wrong place. Best to let it inflate first, to seat the tyre, then lock it in place.

Thanks for the reply.

that is good advice and i'll definitely be sticking to that.