Full Sus pivots - need regular lubing?

pseymour
pseymour Posts: 194
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a Giant Anthem and am not sure if I should be lubing the pivots as part of my regular maintenance. I suspect that they are sealed and should be done annually by a workshop or by the owner if they are confident enough. Is this right?
Giant Anthem X3 2010.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Aren't they sealed bearings, which means you can't really lube them anyway?
  • pseymour
    That is the question i'm asking.
    Giant Anthem X3 2010.
  • Anonymous
    Well, you have the bike, have a look at them, ARE they sealed bearings?
  • pseymour
    You're right, I do have the bike. But not being technically minded, I don't know what sealed bearing look like. So I thought I'd put it out there to the more technically minded to help me.
    Giant Anthem X3 2010.
  • Anonymous
    Well they certainly won't be caged or loose ball bearings, so they'll either be solid bushes, or sealed bearings.
  • pseymour
    Thanks for that. So i'm presuming that I don't need to lube them regularly then (as I can't anyway!).
    Giant Anthem X3 2010.
  • Anonymous
    I can't imagine so, no. If they're sealed bearings, then they should just get used until they need replacing, really.

Have you had a look at Giant's website? There may be some service manuals there. It might explain there what they recommend, if it's different.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    It all depends on what the makers says.

some need lubing some do not need lubing and should not be.

what does the maker say?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown