slightly concerned about a little bit of play from cockpit

adamreah
adamreah Posts: 32
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi everyone.

A little background first. Riding a Cove Stiffee with Chris King headset and Rock Shox pikes. I have a knock from somewhere on my front end. I have tried the standard headset check and it doesn't appear to be coming from there, the bearing don't appear to bad (running quite smoothly). I also don't think its the hub, as the front wheel doesn't seem to have any play, when I try to move from side to side on its own. However there is definitely some play when I repeat the headset check (nothing visible either). Could it be the fork bushes, they are just over a year old. Is there an easy way to check this without sending them away? :?

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers guys.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    could be brake pads moving in the calliper, or the calliper moving, or the adapter moving, or the rotor, even.
    Or, far more likely to just be the fork's first bit of travel. The very slight stiction can sometimes make it feel like headset play.
  • adamreah
    Hmm maybe but if you twist your bars through 90 degrees you can kind of eliminate these problems which I have done. Any other ideas?
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    If you put your finger between the fork arch and the stanchion whilst gently rocking the bike back and forth(not compressing the suspension) if your finger gets pinched it indicates that there is some play in the bushings.
  • adamreah
    Cheers leaflite will try this forthwith :wink:
  • zx1200r
    zx1200r Posts: 15
    Is the steerer/bridge secure?